MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:27 AM
Registered

Recommendations for Kitchen knife set

I'm looking for a good kitchen knife set that is not too over priced. I'm not looking for any crazy features, just good, solid knives that stay sharp and are easy to sharpen when needed.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:01 AM
Guru

You might want to look at Warther knives.

They are American made and are very nice knives. They are not "cheap" if by that you mean inexpensive. If I were to make you a set of kitchen knives, something I excel at, they would be "expensive" if you go by the high end price of factory knives, but my kitchen knives are exceptional and you need a diamond sharpener to sharpen them, which isn't very often because I use S30V steel. Warther Knives are made from S30V steel if I'm not mistaken. So if you want a set of kitchen knives mine are 3 knives, a paring knife, a medium chef's knife and a boning/fillet knife. I have found that most people do not really want a big full sized Chef"s knife, but prefer the medium 6 in. blade.

Warther knives can be looked at here. https://warthercutlery.com/
Old 12-12-2019, 03:07 PM
Master

Do you have a price range in mind?

The Shun Classic line is a good for kitchen use in a production level knife.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:28 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&J View Post
Do you have a price range in mind?
That's really the bottom line. What are you looking for?

This is interesting to me b/c I have been going through some of the same thought process recently. Here are some good considerations/suggestions:

1. Don't go for the big block-o-knives sets - buy the individual components. You really won't use most of them anyway. I read this from multiple sources and upon review concluded that this was spot on. I have two knife block sets on my counter top and I only really use two knives out of them - the good chef's knife and the 4-inch paring knife.

2. Stay away from the big-name German brands (eg. Wustoff, Henckels, etc.). If you want something similar with good steel and cheap go with something like Mercer (look on Amazon).

3. A 6" chef's knife is much more useful than a 10" chef's knife. I have the latter and it's just too big for most common tasks.

I got a lot of useful info from the "Burrfection" channel on YouTube. This guy is a professional knife sharpener and has good insight on kitchen cutlery. He can be a little wacky, but there seems to be some real gems if you listen closely.

If I were building a knife set from scratch today I would probably get the following:

1. 6-8 inch chef's knife
2. a 4-inch paring knife
3. a 5-inch utility knife
4. another 6-inch knife like a small chefs or santoku (offset handle for chopping).

the next two knives would be:

5. a good serated bread knife
6. heafty kitchen shears (aka. scissors from hell).

Hope this helps.

-b

Old 01-03-2020, 01:30 PM
Master

We use an 8" chef's and 4" paring regularly. Heavy duty kitchen type scissors is also useful. Beyond that the rest of the block of knives aren't touched. For those that work meats a boning and fillet knife are handy. The butcher has cut the meat generally to the point she doesn't have to do any more to them.

Old 02-16-2020, 09:04 PM
Registered

Victorinox are excellent. If you feel flush go for the rosewood handles.
They sharpen well, are well balanced and last a long time.
My mate works in a 2* Michelin resto and they nearly all use them. “You don’t need expensive knives to be a good chef” is roughly what he said when I asked about knives.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

I'll second the recommendation for Warther knives. They're good enough that they get re-sold on EBay after years of use.

Old 02-20-2020, 04:49 PM
Guru

I bought Warther at a garage sale right down the street.

It was $8, a 6 inch chef and I really liked the jeweling pattern on it. The lady selling it said she couldn't sharpen it. It was a little dull along most of the edge and real dull on the tip and on the rear heel of the blade. Looked like she may have been cutting on a counter top. Imagine my shock when I went to sharpen it. I had to use my 1x42 belt sander with 220 grit SC. A few zips across and then I finished it on my diamond Eze Lap stone. I researched it and was totally surprised at its real cost. I took it back and explained to the lady what she had. I charged her $8 for sharpening it and buffing up the handle. Gave her my phone number for when she needed it sharpened again. She never called me, been almost 2 years now. She lives down the street and I see her out once in a while.

I made a mistake in my 1st comment, Warther uses S35VN not S30V for their knives.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:10 PM

Kershaw and Cold steel make some of the best Kitchen Knives.
Like for instance, there are:

Kershaw
Pure Komachi 2 Slicing Knife

Cold steel
Classic Chef fixed blade

You can browse through different knives on this page

Last edited by Camouflage; 05-28-2020 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:23 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrankin View Post
1. 6-8 inch chef's knife
2. a 4-inch paring knife
3. a 5-inch utility knife
4. another 6-inch knife like a small chefs or santoku (offset handle for chopping)
I think that's great advice. Choose each knife for yourself. Look on Amazon or professional reviews like this . 4-5 base knifes is enough. You really won't use more
Old 03-13-2021, 10:27 PM
Master

Welcome.

What food preparations do you primarily do? The above are all still good recommendations if they are available in your region.

Old 10-18-2021, 05:51 AM
Registered

The Best Kitchen Knife

Victorinox Fibrox Pro 8-Inch Chef’s Knife

Last edited by Thomasgbaron; 10-23-2021 at 01:13 AM.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator

Warther will resharpen the knives for free. You do have to pay shipping, if you don't happen to live near Dover, Ohio.

Old 10-11-2022, 05:37 AM
Registered

Hello, I want to purchase knives with suitable materials and features. Suggest me an excellent replaceable blade knife, folding knife, fixed blade, and multi-blade knife, which can be used in the kitchen quickly.

Tags
a, art, blade, chef's knife, classic, diamond, easy, fac, fillet, fillet knife, handle, kitchen, kitchen knife, kitchen knives, knife, knife set, knives, made, make, paring, paring knife, recommendations, s30v, sharp, steel