MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Damascus Forum

The Damascus Forum The art and study of Damascus steel making.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:16 PM
Enthusiast

First mosaic I've "Ferry Flipped"

A couiple of weeks gao I finally got to try the famed "Ferry Flip". I'm pretty pleased with the results. This is what I call a "funky basketweave", which is to say, I didn't concentrate hard on forging the mosaic straight, I just let it go a bit.

I'm hooked. This is definitely the way I want to work mosaics from now on.

-d
Old 03-25-2010, 08:58 AM
Skilled

Very nice. I like the controlled randomness. Did you chose to weld the tiles wet or dry?
Matt

Old 03-26-2010, 08:23 PM

very nice
Old 03-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Enthusiast

I have the same question as Matt. Did you weld it wet or dry?

I would also like to know if it is wet welded could the tiles be tack welded to a piece of 304 SS and would the tiles be easier to remove.
I mean just grind the tacks off after welding and would the piece fall of of the 304 SS or would it stick to it?
Old 04-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Enthusiast

Sorry for the long time in responding, it's been a little busy around here

I welded these dry. I don't have a TIG, so i took it to the local welding/fab shop and had one of the guys there just fuse the edges with a TIG torch (no filler). I'm undecided on if I'll try the next one wet or not. If I had my little wirefeed welder running I'd give it a shot but all I have for a welder right now is a great big 400/400 AC/DC stick welder, so I can't really do any precision welding to prep stuff.

All of the final welding and drawing on this was done on a 50lb Iron Kiss air hammer while demonstrating in 2" deep mud You don't need a press to do this stuff. I did need to take very light blows at first, so a hammer with good control is essential, but you can surely do it.

My new forge is almost done, then I'll get to some larger mosaics for fun.

-d
Old 07-12-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Ganshorn View Post
I have the same question as Matt. Did you weld it wet or dry?

I would also like to know if it is wet welded could the tiles be tack welded to a piece of 304 SS and would the tiles be easier to remove.
I mean just grind the tacks off after welding and would the piece fall of of the 304 SS or would it stick to it?
Cal you are right if wet welded you can use stainless and once you knock the welds off the billet will separate . I use heat treat foil on top of mild steel with the same affect.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:34 PM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Helton View Post
Cal you are right if wet welded you can use stainless and once you knock the welds off the billet will separate . I use heat treat foil on top of mild steel with the same affect.
I just did my first flip. Didn't have any 304 so I used some 416 for backing and had to grind much of it off afterwards. Didn't think about H/T foil but that sounds like a good alternative.

Billy: Enjoyed your demo at Ray's shop tour/hammer-in. (I got the DVD)

Gary
Old 07-24-2010, 07:05 AM
Skilled

If you don't have any HT foil, you have just what you need right in the kitchen - aluminum foil!
All you want to do is contaminate the weld.
Just fold up 3-4 layers and lay it under the tiles. Then you can use cheap mild steel from the hardware store instead of stainless.

What do you do when you see your ex in pain, limping and bleeding?

Relax. Take a deep breath. Reload and then shoot again.

http://www.andersenforge.com/
Old 07-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl B. Andersen View Post
If you don't have any HT foil, you have just what you need right in the kitchen - aluminum foil!
All you want to do is contaminate the weld.
Just fold up 3-4 layers and lay it under the tiles. Then you can use cheap mild steel from the hardware store instead of stainless.

I didn't think of it at the time and used some 416 but will know better next time.

Thanks,

Gary
Old 12-16-2020, 08:39 AM
Registered

Hi we Produce in second Generation and set the highest quality standards in mosaic and logo Pin making since 1996
We use German machines and equipment best quality Products to make sure that we can bring the Top Quality Pins for Custom Handmade Knives.
We can also produce high Quality Knife Handle Pins with your own Logos and Design.
Materials : brass outer tube, brass, Epoxy resin
8 mm / 0.31 inch - 100 mm / 3.93 inch length
10 mm / 0.39 inch - 100 mm / 3.93 inch length
You can have our mosaic pins for knife making, metal work, jewelry making
Our pages where you can buy products from me ⬇️
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CustomKniv...g_id=893357840

Tags
brass, ca, custom, design, epoxy, forge, forging, german, handle, handmade, handmade knives, heat treat, knife, knife handle, knife making, knives, make, making, metal, mosaic, pins, products, shop, shop tour, simple