MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:58 AM
Registered

custom safety gloves - materials and ordering

I need advice on materials for a custom protective glove for the following use:

A friend of mine is a tech-savvy guy and has recently been into molecular cooking. Not my cup of tea, but he asked me for help with creating gloves just for him.

He is in the process of designing a heated knife for a fast and precise cutting. The blade goes between 50 and 100 C degrees, and his cutting skills are worthy of a master chef. However, he needs maximum precision that could be acceptable in millimeter - detail work, while providing protection against accidental touching of the heated blade, and possibly, very basic cut protection. The best glove possible would be also sweat-resistant, so he can continuously cut with the blade for at least an hour, preferably two.

The closest he found were barbeque gloves, but they were too thick to give him the needed precision, while he definitely didn't need them to withstand 500 Celsius degrees temperature.

he said the price for paying someone for creating the glove doesn't matter, but he wishes to sell his invention, so being able to make larger quantities of the glove once the prototype works out would be a nice addition. He wants to offer the gloves and the knife in a package, so it would be problematic if it cost thrice the price of the knife itself.

So, what kind of material would be the best for handling a moderately - heated blade while providing maximum precision? Do you know any way to contact anyone who would be ready to make such a glove?

Last edited by Izayeth; 04-03-2018 at 06:00 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:39 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Pretty much any material, even cotton, would provide protection from hot metal at that temperature. The problem he will have is that no material will keep his hands cool for two hours of exposure to that temperature. My advice would be to look for a glove that gives him the sensitivity he requires and try a few. Cotton, neoprene, anything that feels right can survive that temperature but nothing short of refrigeration will keep his hands cool for two hours of continuous exposure to that temperature ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-03-2018, 07:19 PM
Registered

He is not supposed to touch that knife's blade directly, just don't sweat over an hour of touching the handle, which barely heats, is just slightly warm. It is more about fatigue, as most higher-precision gloves are latex, which don't prevent self cutting or burns from accidental (less 3 seconds) touching the blade.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:22 PM
Guru

Best thing would be to buy some Isotoner driving gloves with Thinsulate and a good rubber kitchen glove over them. I have found them good to 0 C at keeping my hands warm, but I can also reach into my pocket and get my keys out and separate them without taking off the glove. Then either some large rubber gloves to protect the glove from moisture or regular surgical gloves you can buy at a paint store if he wants maximum dexterity. The surgical gloves are of course use once then throw away, but a box of 10 is like $2.50 and I would imagine the best way to go as being near a knife a cut or abrasion is bound to happen sooner than later.

I'm still alive Ray and out of the ICU, but not home yet.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:09 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

QUOTE: just don't sweat over an hour of touching the handle, which barely heats

If the handle is warmer by any degree than his natural hand temp then his hand will warm up. If he's wearing any type of glove with insulation in it, the insulation will warm up. Insulation, by its nature is resistant to heat transfer but not impervious to it. That means the glove will warm slowly but it will warm. And when it does get warm the heat inside the glove will not transfer out very quickly at all. Most likely the temp will continue to rise until his hands sweat if he stays in contact with the knife long enough. The bottom line is that for extended contact with a warm surface he would probably stay more comfortable if the gloves were not insulated but there's only one way to be certain, gotta try it and see ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 12-03-2020, 08:30 AM
Registered

The Artisan Griller gloves covered all those areas I was looking for and work very well for what I do. They are very thick, but not to the point they are not flexible. They sit high enough above my wrist that I do not worry about getting burned when reaching in to my grill, oven or smoker. They also have a very good grip because at least 60% of the glove is covered in what appears to be slip resistant type material. It is only above the wrist line that the material once again becomes smooth but at this point, grip is not required.

Last edited by CoreyWebb; 12-17-2020 at 06:55 AM.

Tags
a, advice, bee, blade, ca, custom, cutting, degrees, grip, handle, home, hot, knife, make, material, materials, metal, package, paint, problem, safety, sell, store, throw