MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:22 AM

Higonokami

Here's a new one,... something a little different for me. I had never made a higonokami (Japanese friction folder) before, but did a simple practice piece first, just to get the action etc., to work right. It took a few tries...

It's an original design, with classic higonokami features.

It's about 4.5 inches closed.

Blade- 1095
Synclastic shell handle- Mild steel

I ended up going with an aluminum alloy rivet and mild steel washer. I first tried a steel rivet, then a bronze rivet, but they came out too tight, because of the large diameter and hardness of the materials. The aluminum rivet was just right.

It's a sauerkraut patina on the blade, also something new I have been experimenting with.

IMG_1500-003.JPGIMG_1507-002.JPGIMG_1544-004.JPGIMG_1549-001.JPGIMG_1561-001.JPG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1490-002.JPG (136.0 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Tai Google; 09-15-2020 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-16-2020, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator

Fun!

Curious: How tight is the pivot? I guess I'm asking if it takes some effort to open or does it swing pretty freely?

If the washer was replaced with a bronze washer, would that cause a corrosion problem ('cause I think the contrast would be cool)?

Old 09-16-2020, 08:38 AM

It won't flip open or swing freely, but just tight enough that you can open it by the "lever" with your thumb, or easily pull it open by the back of the blade.

Bronze could cause a galvanic reaction (corrosion) if/when the knife gets wet. On a side note, the aluminum rivet is closer to the steel on the galvanic spectrum than say bronze or copper and less likely to cause any problems. Originally, I wanted it to be all steel with no contrasting metals, but that didn't work. In general, I also like the washer to be harder than the rivet, so it doesn't expand or deform when setting the rivet.

Old 09-16-2020, 08:45 PM

That's about downright cool, Tai. Very nice. If souerkrout does that to steel, what must it do to one's insides?

Forgive me a senior moment here, but didn't we do a friction folder iron in the hat once? I know we did arrowheads, and a scavenger hunt IITH. I once got a knife with olive wood handles from Sweany. Anybody heard from him in a while?

Last edited by Dana Acker; 09-16-2020 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:19 AM

Thanks bro.

... I don't remember about that KITH, but it's sounds possible. I do vaguely remember something about boner knives, or a "boner in the hat", not sure if it was this forum though.

Haven't heard from old NT Barking Turtle Sweany for a while.

Old 09-17-2020, 10:47 AM

I seem to remember the boner in the hat. I remember handling a blade with oosik, which classifies as a real boner. We used to have a lot of fun with those things.

Old 09-29-2020, 05:44 PM

Hey Tai, do you remember those miniature axes or tomahawks that Larry Harley (R.I.P.) used to make from raccoon pecker bones?

Remember the hammer-in you came to in Tennessee when you brought the black sand, and we spent an afternoon crunching up oyster shells for carbon? I remember the smelted bloom sparking like crazy when put against the grinder. Didn't Larry forge that into a blade which was auctioned off for charity? You wouldn't have an old photo of that finished knife would you?

And wasn't that the hammer-in where some young fellow brought some titanium Damascus?

Old 09-30-2020, 08:54 AM

I remember the hammerin, the smelting and the moonshine, but not a lot more,... probably because of the moonshine.

Old 09-30-2020, 10:13 PM

You reckon...?

Old 09-30-2020, 10:26 PM

I reckon so.

You believe me don't you?

Tags
1095, a, back, blade, ca, classic, design, folder, forge, friction folder, handle, handles, iron, japanese, knife, knives, made, materials, pivot, problem, simple, steel, wood