MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:58 PM
Skilled

Buisy weekend

Between birthday party's, entertaining company and searching for the ever elusive 9mm ammo (thanks a lot department of homeland security), i was able to get quite a bit of shop time this weekend.

This is a 3 piece set of kitchen knives I made for a foreman on one of my construction projects.

All three handles are Lignum vitae and 1/4 inch pins I made from brass and piano wire and the steel is 1075/1080 from admiral steel. All three blades are hand sanded to 800 grit, and the big chopper was etched to show a "ghost hamon"

The paring knife is 6 3/4" oal with a 2 3/4" blade made from 1/8" stock

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The Chef knife is 9 3/4" oal with a 5 1/4" blade made from 3/16 stock

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The BIG Chopper is 11 1/4" oal with a 7" blade made from 3/16" stock. The blade was not distally tapered, it is basically a stubby meat cleaver.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I was also able to finish these whittlers for the local boy scout den. It appears i have become the official knife maker for Pack 490. This year wasn't bad as there was only 4 scouts and one leader in the bear den. I will not be so lucky next year as I am the den leader, we have 10 boys and 2 assistant den leaders to help me out.

They are 1075/1080 with Spalted maple and Lignum vitae handles, 3/16" pins and made from 1/8" steel. The oal is 5 1/2" and a 2" blade. The den leaders knife has a slightly longer blade and handle than the scouts knives.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-08-2013, 06:22 AM

Nicely done J.
How you like working the LV? Really nice dense wood that actually holds up to very fine detail caring itself.
If you ever get a chance to look at some red bud (cerisus canadenses) the wood/grain patterns are nearly identical to LV, just not as oily.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 04-08-2013, 08:39 AM

Very nice. Love the spalted maple.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:47 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crex View Post
Nicely done J.
How you like working the LV? Really nice dense wood that actually holds up to very fine detail caring itself.
If you ever get a chance to look at some red bud (cerisus canadenses) the wood/grain patterns are nearly identical to LV, just not as oily.
I liked working with it, one thing i noticed is that i needed to keep a really sharp belt on the sander and i needed to use a belt cleaner way more than i normally do. I specifically chose this wood because of its properties. I knew it was going to be used hard and often in his kitchen so I liked that it was a very dense oily wood that was naturally resistant to chemicals and the like.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:47 AM
Skilled

Nice! Way to crank em out. really Like the kitchen set.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:03 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCKnifeworks View Post
Very nice. Love the spalted maple.
Thanks, I stabilized it myself. I used aluminite dye and the stabilizing resin i got from Jon Kennedy.

Last year the scouts used soap as there first whittling project, and the natural oil was sucked out of the wood and they looked really bad. This year I anticipated that so I chose stabilized wood and Lignum vitae so i wouldn't have that issue come up again.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:07 AM
Skilled

Thanks Ricky, its the first matched set I have ever made. The finny thing is the guy i was making them for has rather strange hands, each of his fingers are about as wide as my thumb. So when i designed and shaped each handle i wore mechanics gloves so they would fit his hands. I am really anxious to get his feedback on how they work.

Ricky, I havent seen your name in the new post area lately. We are all waiting to see what you come up with to use that black palm on.

Last edited by jdale; 04-08-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Master

Well done man!

Old 04-09-2013, 05:45 AM

Yeah LV will gum a belt fast. If you have variable speed and can crank it down it helps.
Stuff really finishes well though. It's so oily and dense it was used for ship driveshaft bearings for many years. It was also used as castors for rocket and munitions sleds on carriers during WWII...tough, reliabe and no sparks. My dad (Naval Aviator) brought salvaged 16 castors from a bomb damaged sled during the Leyte skirmish. He did stuff like that. I wound up with them. To small in dimensions for whole handls but I've used them for guards, spacers, etc. Takes very fine detail carving.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Last edited by Crex; 02-18-2023 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:37 PM
Steel Addict

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdale View Post
Between birthday party's, entertaining company and searching for the ever elusive 9mm ammo (thanks a lot department of homeland security), i was able to get quite a bit of shop time this weekend.

This is a 3 piece set of kitchen knives I made for a foreman on one of my construction projects.

All three handles are Lignum vitae and 1/4 inch pins I made from brass and piano wire and the steel is 1075/1080 from admiral steel. All three blades are hand sanded to 800 grit, and the big chopper was etched to show a "ghost hamon"

The paring knife is 6 3/4" oal with a 2 3/4" blade made from 1/8" stock

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The Chef knife is 9 3/4" oal with a 5 1/4" blade made from 3/16 stock

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The BIG Chopper is 11 1/4" oal with a 7" blade made from 3/16" stock. The blade was not distally tapered, it is basically a stubby meat cleaver.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I was also able to finish these whittlers for the local boy scout den. It appears i have become the official knife maker for Pack 490. This year wasn't bad as there was only 4 scouts and one leader in the bear den. I will not be so lucky next year as I am the den leader, we have 10 boys and 2 assistant den leaders to help me out.

They are 1075/1080 with Spalted maple and Lignum vitae handles, 3/16" pins and made from 1/8" steel. The oal is 5 1/2" and a 2" blade. The den leaders knife has a slightly longer blade and handle than the scouts knives.

[IMG][/IMG]
wow, that is some awesome work. Your foreman is a lucky man. Nice gift.

Tags
blades, brass, carving, cleaver, guards, hamon, handle, knife, knives, made, making, man, paring knife, pins, project, resin, sharp, spacers, stabilizing, steel, whittling, wood