MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Buck
New Kiln

Hi All,

I just bought a new satellite kiln for jewelry burnout, but will be doing heat treating for carbon steels as well, just read the post on argon and I am confused. Will I need to use argon to protect the elements? Thanks UB.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Steel Addict

argon will hasten the wear on the elements. When the elements are first fired they get a layer of oxide built on them this will protect them from further oxidizing. Argon prevents and cleans this oxide from the elements.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:18 AM
Skilled

So from what you are saying you have a choice. Less sanding on the blades but heating elements don't last very long or heating elements last a long time but you have to do more sanding on the blades. Does this sum it up?
Old 04-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Hall of Famer

Wade, it will also depend on what you mean by heat treating. If all you are going to do is stuff like tempering and spherodizing/annealing the steel then you should have any scale buildup.

Doug Lester

Old 04-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Skilled

If you are going to do full HTing with it, and are worried about scale, decarb, ect. try PBC powder. You apply it when the blade is at between 500? and 600?. The powder melts and adheres to the steel, then protects it against those problems. Most of the coating comes off in the quench, the rest dissolves in hot water. It is very good for those steels that require prolonged soaks.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:34 AM
Steel Addict

I've been using a liquid anti-scale. I like it better than the powdered anti-scale. Mostly because it applies evenly easier. I use tinners brushes to put on a 5-15mil thickness (0.005" to 0.015"). It dries pretty quickly but I hold it over a light bulb if I want it to dry faster. If the liquid gets too thick for brushing, I add a little water. I store the jar in another jar to keep moisture loss to a minimum. Also keep it where it won't freeze.

I got it here...
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...+SCALE+COATING

This is the outfit that makes it...
http://http://www.advancedtechnicalprod.com/contact.htm

Mike
Old 04-10-2009, 06:59 AM
Skilled

I have a jar of it, but have not yet tried it.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Enthusiast

Thx for the replies

Hi All,

I do appreciate the responses, but I may get rid of the kiln. It is really to small as I get a lot of lawn mower blades and stuff and I really need to anneal them and I cant in this kiln. I have never have even used it, so if your interested I'll make my knifemaking brethern a good deal. If interested you can contact me at wolff_60@yahoo.com. Thanks UB If you need pics of the kiln, just email, and I'll send you some. I dont know how here
Old 04-11-2009, 06:32 AM
Skilled

MIKE KRALL, you got me interested in that liquid scale protection. Tried it yesterday, and so far I like it. I brushed it on with a tinners brush, then used a hair drier. It is definately easier to work with than the powder. I have had the stuff for 6, or 8 months. Just been waiting until I ran out of powder. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Enthusiast

New price on kiln

Hi All,

I am offering a great deal on this never used kiln, so I can buy the parts to build me a good gas forge, I have large peices to anneal and cut out and this is just too small. Th kiln is a satellite j 100 kiln. I paid 535 for it and Ill let her go for 450. This unit is brand new. If your interested you can email me at wolff_60@yahoo.com. See attached pics. New lower price $400.00 plus shipping.Thanks UB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kiln2.JPG (126.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Kiln3.JPG (132.6 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Uncle Buck; 04-20-2009 at 10:29 PM.

Tags
blade, forge, knife