MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 12-29-2000, 07:49 PM
viper5192

Knife shows

I will be attending my first show in Feb. The LV Classic, any hints, do and don'ts? How can I get the most out of my time?

How can I get good deals?

Peace

Paul
Circle P Knives
expage.com/circlepknives
Old 01-02-2001, 06:32 PM
JerryO13

Ah, the knife show, life blood of the knife collecting geek!

Paul, deal wise there's 2 schools of thought the very early and the very late. They are what the sound like. If you can get in early you get the best selection, at the New York Custom show last november Joe Kious was sold out in 15 minutes, Darrel Ralph was sold out in 45. Many show's have early entry for dealers and knifemakers. Try to get on this list. At the end of a show many people will give you a deal so that they don't have to take knives home with them. This doesn't always work, but it can. Buying in bulk is another way to get a discount, but not always.

As for do's and don'ts it's pretty common sense for the most part.

BE NICE! treat people as you would be treated (I sound like a homily )

Many knifemakers want you to handle their knives, some do not. Ask First, most will be happy you did even as they tell you you didn't have to ask. If they tell you no don't get upset, that knife may be there to be delivered to a customer. Would you want everybody pawing over your knife, probably not.

Return the knife to the table as it was when you picked it up. It will be appreciated. My personal rule when camping in the woods you bring everything but the kitchen sink, but you leave nothing but footprints. At a knifeshow put it back as it was and leave with nothing but a smile!

With folders DO NOT snap them open with a filck of the wirst, if you just have got to do this, ask the maker first.

DO NOT bang the back of the blade against the table to test blade lockup. It's loud, crude and annoying.

DO really check out that knife, check the blade play, the joints, the fit and finish. Even if you don't buy it most knifemakers appreciate a knowledgeable customer. It show's that your serious. Be careful when handling the knife especially when checking the edge, chances are it's sharp (duh!) cut yourself and you've not only managed to hurt yourself, but to look like a grade "A" fool in the bargain.

Do not tell them "I'll be back later" come back or do not it's your choice, but they hear that line all day long and know that 95% are not coming back.

Do have a good time, try to talk to the various people attending the show, both maker and collecters. They are without doubt some of the best people you can know.

Old 01-03-2001, 09:27 AM
viper5192

Thanks Jerry. I do know that the LV classic is having an early preview for those buying all 3 days. Wish they'd get their site hammered out. The people they have "fixing" their site up has had it done for months And there is a Web Hosting/Domain name site up instead! It is a ugly site

Peace

Paul

BTW any of you other seasoned show goers feel free to chime in.
Old 01-27-2001, 12:44 PM
Les Robertson

Paul,

Try www.lasvegasclassicknifeshow.com

That will get you the latest info.

Tags
blade, knife, knives