MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Enthusiast

All hand done? Sounds rough, that blade makes me think of one of my favorite knives, Benchmade Activator

http://www.soonerstateknives.com/BM-201.JPG

Old 12-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Enthusiast

Looks good, hope my 3rd knife comes out that well.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Steel Addict

My Third Knife: Update

I didn't want to waste a completely new post on it since I've already showed this knife once. I thought I ought to post a photo of the completely finished package though since it hadn't been sharpened and had no sheath last time.

I sold this to a close friend of mine. He had expressed interest since I first started talking about making knives, and I promised the first servicable one I finished would go to him.

I decided not to mark it at this point. I don't have an appropriate makers mark created yet, and I am not quite ready to start selling seriously and building a reputation. Hope you like the knife. As always, I'm completely open to any advice or criticism.

jk1.jpg

jk2.jpg

jk4.jpg

jk5.jpg
Old 12-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Enthusiast

Looks great. That is a full flat grind isn't it?
Old 12-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Steel Addict

Yes, full flat.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:44 PM
Skilled

Looks very nice, you can be proud of that one! I like the blade shape alot. You sure did it the hard way running the grind up after heat treat, I think I would have annealed and then re heat treated but you pulled it off. I guess I need to do I search for how people do a makers mark. Mine are just starting to get to the point I would like them to be blamed on me. LOL
Old 12-18-2012, 01:09 AM
Enthusiast

Very nice 3rd knife! After you come up/acquire a makers mark, will you be asking for this back (temporarily) to mark it?

If I had to change one thing it would be to add a blood groove possibly, but that's just my 2 cents, It's a very clean blade, the sheath is impressive as well, how long did that take and what #of sheath would that be?

Old 12-18-2012, 02:15 AM
Steel Addict

Looks very good, well done. I do like the blade shape and you have it well proportioned. The Kydex isn't my favorite, that's just my opinion, but you've done a pretty fine job on it. I've managed to mess up the blade on my first knife during the sharpening, but it looks like you've got it figured out. Congratulations.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:27 AM
Steel Addict

I may offer to mark it for him if he wants. It's not a big deal to me or him, though. It was from one friend to another and is a personal tool he will use and keep.

This is my second completed sheath. I've done one more since, and I'm starting to get better at it. I really enjoy working with the kydex. Sure it doesn't have the beauty of leather, but it does have some advantages for certain uses. Even if I don't get where I want to be with my knives I would love to get good enough to make custom sheaths some day. This guy does a lot of kayaking, mountain biking, backpacking, etc. I haven't started working with leather yet, but he had requested something secure, waterproof, and easily cleaned so it worked out.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Enthusiast

Nice
Old 01-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Enthusiast

Nice job on the knife. Really like the matching pins. I have a few blades that I am working on. These will be my first. Hind sight of it is that I probably should have chosen an easier blade material to start with. I am having to do a lot of reading to get a plan of action on how to do the pins. Congrats on both that you have posted. The third knife appears to have a different color to it. Or am I seeing a reflection on the blade?

If interested I built my own 2x72 grinder and have drawings for all the parts. Trying to attach a picture of it but not sure if I got it on here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8inch contact wheel.jpg (351.3 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by dwc34205; 01-10-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Tags
advice, angle, bevel, blade, build, build it, design, easy, edge, flat, flat grind, forge, handle, heat treat, knife, knives, made, make, maker's mark, material, micarta, pins, scales, sheath, steel