MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:18 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt-Jens View Post
I've thought about this same thing. Here's my thoughts. If he wants a clean blade, tell him to buy a China knife, or buy a kit, or something like that.

Bottom line, if YOU made it, YOUR mark should be on it. Otherwise its worth about the same as a China knife.

In my opinion, you did the right thing.
I disagree. It's worth about as much as what you charge the buyer for it.

In the same respect, an unsold/unmade knife, marked or not, is worth LESS than a China knife.

Granted, I'm not saying that refusing the sale because you couldn't mark it was the wrong thing to do. I think that's an individual choice for each maker, with no right or wrong answer.

At the same time, I have bills to pay, tools to buy, and more knives I want to make, and in this economy, one sure sale is better than 5 "potential" sales or no sale at all.
Like they say, a bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush.

For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword.... (Hebrews 4:12)

My YouTube Channel: www.YouTube.com/ARCustomKnives
Check it out and Subscribe!
Old 07-18-2011, 09:08 AM
Skilled

If the guy wants an unmarked knife, it's his loss. Without the maker's mark it isn't worth as much as if it is identifiable - or so I'm told... I'd still make the knfe - and the sale - and just write this one off as an anonymous piece disappearing in the great void...

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
www.twomountainsforge.com
Old 07-20-2011, 08:06 AM
Enthusiast

"On the other hand......if someone wants me to put my mark on a blade by itself - unfinished - no way. Cannot control what would be done after the sale. Bad knife with your mark on it will tag you forever."

Hey Carl:
You know that cracked 1084 knife I was telling you about? My best friend and fishing buddy insisted on me giving him the knife unfinished for his tackle box. I tempered it and put an edge on it - it still had lots of cutting edge left on it from the crack. Anyway, I gave it to him and then witnessed him throwing it in his tackle box like he said. It sounds like I better get it back and melt it down.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:20 AM

Russ
If your name or mark is on it, anyone that see that knife will know you made it ......... sure you want that out there? You may not be able to get it back from him unless you "trade" one that is not defective for it. Things like that can haunt you for a long time.
Tip - put his initials or name on the trade knife......be harder for him to refuse.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 07-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Steel Addict

Didn't mean to spark a big debate with this issue, but it is quite interesting to hear everyone's take on it. I don't make knives for a living, just as a hobby, so not getting a sale won't make or break me. If knife making is your bread and butter though, I can understand needing to have every sale you can.

To my way of thinking, it's up to everyone to make up their own mind how important it is to have their maker's mark on their knife.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Jim
Old 07-20-2011, 03:59 PM
Enthusiast

Okay Carl, I'll get it back with no problem. I've given him several knives in the past so I know he won't have a problem with it. Thanks.

Tags
art, blade, custom, hobby, kit, knife, knife making, knives, maker's mark, sheath