MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:33 PM

Delta 5 Tanto????????????????????

What has become of this knife, and the SG4 tanto too. No one seems to have an answer, not KN nor DR. Anyone have some info?

Thanks

Old 11-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Apparently, they aren't being made anymore. I guess you could ask Knifekits if they can get anymore of them but I'm thinking the manufacturer may not be making them. Still, couldn't hurt to ask.

Maybe you should consider this the perfect opportunity to start making your own blades. Those are fairly easy blades to make. And I would guess that even though you like them as they are there is probably some little thing about them that you might rather have some different way. Turn this into an opportunity...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-01-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
Apparently, they aren't being made anymore. I guess you could ask Knifekits if they can get anymore of them but I'm thinking the manufacturer may not be making them. Still, couldn't hurt to ask.

Maybe you should consider this the perfect opportunity to start making your own blades. Those are fairly easy blades to make. And I would guess that even though you like them as they are there is probably some little thing about them that you might rather have some different way. Turn this into an opportunity...
KnifeKits had no idea. I do make some of m own knives, there was just something about it that caught my fancy. It is a shame that the knife blank market does not make more tactical/cqb/fighting/etc. knives, but then thats what got me into making my own blades.
Need to expand the shop a bit. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Administrator

"KnifeKits had no idea."
???

The D5 and SG4 series knives are our designs. No other companies have these models, unless we sold them some. We designed them originally and we produce them. The same goes for 99% of our other kit models. They are all internally designed and produced.

The "tanto" versions you're referring to are simple tip modifications of the standard drop point models of each of those kits. We make a few of these grind modifications every year on a limited production basis. We'll be producing more in the near future, but if you want to take Ray's advice, grind the tip off one and you have the tanto you're looking at.

If you want one of the units that we'll be doing, shoot us an e-mail and we'll add you to the list of guys to contact when they're back in stock.

For other readers, Kits are a great learning aid for early knife making practice. You can build them "as-is", or modify the heck out of them with minimal experience and/or equipment.

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 11-02-2012, 12:42 AM

Alex,

I called Knife Kits 6 months ago, and was just told they were out of stock, and the person I spoke to had no idea when they would return.

Glad to know I can get on a list for when they come in again, thanks for the tip.

I agree Alex, kits, and blanks are a great way to get into knife making. I started making my own blades, then needed something different and then did blanks/kits. Now its whatever caches my eye, or offers inspiration. Some blades I modify/utilize as they are way beyond my craftsmanship abilities.

I did your Sensei Tanto with local native Big-leaf Maple scales, and have a Combat/Survivor that is waiting to have blue/black linen micarta scales put on. I should post the pics when the later is done.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNAdmin View Post
"KnifeKits had no idea."
???

The D5 and SG4 series knives are our designs. No other companies have these models, unless we sold them some. We designed them originally and we produce them. The same goes for 99% of our other kit models. They are all internally designed and produced.

The "tanto" versions you're referring to are simple tip modifications of the standard drop point models of each of those kits. We make a few of these grind modifications every year on a limited production basis. We'll be producing more in the near future, but if you want to take Ray's advice, grind the tip off one and you have the tanto you're looking at.

If you want one of the units that we'll be doing, shoot us an e-mail and we'll add you to the list of guys to contact when they're back in stock.

For other readers, Kits are a great learning aid for early knife making practice. You can build them "as-is", or modify the heck out of them with minimal experience and/or equipment.

Alex

FWIW Alex, I'm loving your blades. I've made 4 of them now, and loved every single one. (With one caveat: The brass S guard on the Dress Kukri is as ugly as home made sin. Thankfully, theres plenty of brass there to grind into a new form.) As soon as I can afford it, I plan to raid the knife pile again.

As a guy who can't forge where he lives, KK blades allow me to do the thing I love most, at a reasonable price.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by velociraptor View Post
Glad to know I can get on a list for when they come in again, thanks for the tip.
For those who may not know, we offer several ways to get the above restock information.

1) Go to our site (http://www.knifekits.com), create and/or login to your account. Go to the out-of stock product page and look for a link to "notify me". Click this and you'll be added to an automated notification list. When a product is restocked, you'll get an immediate e-mail notice.

2) Go to our support desk system (http://knifekits.com/helpdesk/) and create a new ticket. This will get forwarded to the correct support person on our staff with the general restocking information that you need. All managers will be copied in on your request and you'll get rapid action.

3) If the above fail to get what you need, call us and ask for (Steven Andrews, Robert Feltman or Michael Norman). Those are our top-level managers. They report directly to me.

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 04-07-2014, 11:46 AM

Still no Delta 5 or SG4 tantos?????????????????

The Delta 5 drop points are gone too. Been a while, and doesnt look promising.

Last edited by velociraptor; 04-07-2014 at 11:48 AM.

Tags
advice, art, back, bee, brass, build, easy, forge, grind in, guard, kits, knife, knife making, knifekits.com, knives, made, make, making, micarta, post, scales, simple, tactical, tanto