MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:19 AM
Steel Addict

Walt that looks awesome, definitely does not look home made and also makes a great mark, very impressive!

I understand a good amount of electronics, but like Ray... I just copped out and bought an etch-o-matic, it works good when I take the time and do it carefully, but honestly it's still one of the most nerve racking things about knife making for me. Maybe because it's the last step on a finished knife that I could easily ruin a finished product in a matter of seconds.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:55 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynnKnives View Post
Walt that looks awesome, definitely does not look home made and also makes a great mark, very impressive!

I understand a good amount of electronics, but like Ray... I just copped out and bought an etch-o-matic, it works good when I take the time and do it carefully, but honestly it's still one of the most nerve racking things about knife making for me. Maybe because it's the last step on a finished knife that I could easily ruin a finished product in a matter of seconds.
Thanks for the good words

Like you I think it is the most nerve racking 10 seconds of the whole process

Old 07-09-2014, 12:24 PM

Hi Mr walt, can you send me the eschematics of this etching machine?
Thanks in advance,
regards,
Lourival
PS. excuse my poor english; I'm from Brazil.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:01 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Lourival,

Walt hasn't posted anything in about two months so he may not respond to your request. However, plans for building a simple etcher are common on the internet and a Google search should find one for you. I realize you're in Brazil and that might make a difference but over here it often is cheaper to buy an Etch-O-Matic than it is to build your own.

Walt/Wynn,

Etching is the last thing i do too but I never break a sweat over it. The key, for me anyway, is to Scotch tape the stencil to the blade and then add extra tape if required around the stencil to make absolutely sure that the etching pad cannot touch anything but the stencil. If you do that you can't really screw things up. If there is any doubt about the etch, just peel up one corner and look to see that the etch worked. If it didn't, probably due to bad electrical contact, you can put the corner of the stencil back down and try again. As long as you don't lift the stencil too much you won't lose alignment ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-09-2014, 02:15 PM
Skilled

Walt,

A tip from one electronics guy to another...

Put a coil of about 1ft of 16 AWG Nichrome or Kanthal in series with one of your leads. This will be about 1 ohm.

Wire an LED, so that it's in the same direction as the current flow when on DC/Etch, across the coil. The LED will illuminates when good current is flowing through the steel and electrolyte.

The coil will reduce the available current slightly, but 1 ohm in series has never hurt my etching. I am pulling about 4A and 4V appears across the coil, about right to light the LED.

Cheers!

Dan

P.S. Ernie's etcher is here:
http://www.erniesknives.com/etching_power_supply.html

Last edited by DanCom; 07-09-2014 at 02:27 PM. Reason: added URL to Ernie's page

Tags
at home, auto, awesome, battery, bee, blade, boot, build, easy, etch, heat, home, home made, homemade, kit, knife, knives, made, make, maker's mark, making, post, supplies, tutorial, video