MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:07 PM
Skilled

buckeye burl chefs knife

Just finished this up for my wife (I will etch my name once i get my stencils).

The handle is stabilized buckeye burl, a spacer of Malachite Web Composite and 15n20.
The blade has a 7" cutting edge of Aldo's 1084 2" thick sand sanded to 800 grit.
Differentially heat treated with sanite and etched with a 4:1 mix of water /Ferric Chloride
(i suck at photos so i couldn't get the hamon to show up in the pics very well, however in hand it is very noticeable).

The balance on this knife is about where the blade starts and is deceptively light for its size. it originally had an octagonal shaped handle which
took quite a lot to get it perfectly symmetrical. but the boss didnt like it and what the lady wants the lady gets, so oval it is.

I know there is still things i could have done better so feel free to critique.

I tried my best to not have a plunge line. But what is there is almost unnoticeable in person. It did however decide to show up very clearly in the pictures

Old 02-27-2015, 12:15 PM
Steel Addict

Very very nice man. Well done.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:35 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I can't put my finger on exactly why but something about that knife really appeals to me ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-27-2015, 04:41 PM
Skilled

Home run on that one. Great job.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:58 PM
Skilled

Thanks guys. The stone spacer and stub tang design were inspired by Ray's kitchen knife video
Old 02-27-2015, 07:40 PM
Hall of Famer

Good job all the way around. The handle really catches the eye.

Doug

Old 02-27-2015, 08:01 PM
Steel Addict

Really nice knife.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:05 PM
Skilled

Excellent workmanship !!!
Boss owns you one
Old 02-28-2015, 06:55 AM

Very nice indeed!
Would have thought the hammon would "pop" more on 1084 than that, but it will probably start showing out when it starts to get "use patina".
Looks more like turquoise comp than malachite - malachite is more of a dark forest green with lighter swirls. Not that it matters much, what you did looks just fine.
Know what you mean about lining up the octagon flats, I kind of like it when they prefer smooth (oval). Much easier.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 02-28-2015, 10:04 AM
Skilled

I had someone tell me that the handle reminded them of Vincent Van Gogh's "Starry Night". weather or not it resembles the masterpiece i still have to say buckeye burl is one of my favorite handle materials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crex View Post
Would have thought the hammon would "pop" more on 1084 than that
Looks more like turquoise comp than malachite - malachite is more of a dark forest green with lighter swirls. Not that it matters much, what you did looks just fine.
(oval). Much easier.

The lack of visible hamon is due to the fact that I am no good with a camera. i am trying to set up a small light box for pictures but the paper i have at the moment is too thick and washes out all the light given off by the 3x 100W portable lights im using.

when the knife is held the hamon stands out quite nicely. it would have more definition to it but i clay quenched it prior to shaping the flats.

The spacer i used was from Jantz they had it labeled as Malachite "Web" Gemstone Composite im not sure if the "web" is what differentiates it from the Malachite Gemstone Composite. I was originally going to buy the Malachite Gemstone Composite but with the larger area needed to show off its beauty would be lost when it is used in such a thin section.

I am really glad i bought Ray's kitchen knife video, otherwise I would have never tried using the gemstone composite. i always assumed i would have to use lapidary tools on it.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:57 PM
Enthusiast

Very nicely done.

I'm excited to watch the DVD and learn something myself.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:11 AM

Jdale - Went to Jantz site and see what you mean. Both malachite and turquoise are copper mineral derivatives, just used to the solid malachite I've worked with which is much darker green than what you have used here. Used to do a lot of lapidary work. My guess is the crushing of the stone and reconstituting alters the light refracting characteristics. I do remember the slurry from cutting and grinding malachite being much lighter.
They did send you a health warning concerning dust from the composite stones (any stone actually), I hope. The copper residual in the stone is highly carcinogenic and it's the kind of air borne material that your body/lungs cannot purge like it can some organics. Once in always in. So please be careful with that stuff.
Yeah, camera work is not my forte either. If it is a true hammon, it goes all the way through the blade and should present no matter how much material is removed. So, has to be a lighting/glare issue. Seen a lot of fellas use white plastic garbage bags as diffusers, but then they have way more sophisticated cameras than I.

Gigante/etal - Watched part of Ray's DVD with a buddy a while back. Can't help but learn something, as with most, the more you watch the more you see and learn. Excellent choice.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 03-01-2015, 07:59 AM
Skilled

Great looking knife. Wow! I love burl any time. Your fit and finish is very well done.

I too bought some reconstituted stone after watching Ray's video. I bought the "sample pack" from Jantz, but I failed to get anything green.

Dan
Old 03-01-2015, 12:11 PM
Skilled

Dan, I bought a sample pack as well as the malachite. It seemed like a really good deal especially since I will be using it only as a spacer.

Good idea Carl, never thought to use a garbage bag as a diffuser. As for the hamon it seems like if I grind then ht I can get the lighter wispy lines to show up. Either way I'm super pleased with how it turned out
Old 03-01-2015, 09:38 PM
Steel Addict

Great looking knife.

Tags
1084, art, blade, burl, chefs knife, design, edge, etch, hamon, handle, heat, home, kitchen, kitchen knife, knife, lights, man, sand, show, spacer, stone, tang, video