MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:12 PM
Steel Addict

slipjoint in progress

Hey guys, haven't posted here in quite awhile figured I'd share what I'm currently working on, my first slipjoint. I've always wanted to try to make one but have been too intimidated to try.....until now. If anyone has any tips or suggestions on how to make this easier please share.
I started with some sketches that I made photocopies of and cut out the blade. Then I used a tack to find where the pivot would need to be in order to make sure the spring would be flush in all 3 stops.

Once I had my design to where I liked it I transferred it to lexan to make a reusable template.

I then cut my blade and spring from 154cm, and drilled the pivot hole in the tang, and the Centre hole in the spring. Using a piece of scrap wood I pin my blade and spring in place and drew a line along the spine of the spring. Once I had the spring returning to its start point in open and half close, I filed down the kick until it would close with the spring still flush with the line.

Finally I ground in the bevels on the blade.

This little sucker is the smallest blade I have ever ground and as it has no handle was tricky to hold while grinding. I had to pinch my grind guide with one hand while supporting/pressing it into the belt. Glad I didn't mess it up
That's all the progress I made so far.
More to come.....

Last edited by J.Lec; 02-06-2016 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:03 PM
Skilled

Looks like a cool project. I'll have to try one sometime. Keep us posted on progress.

Tags
154cm, bee, belt, blade, design, grinding, handle, how to, knife, made, make, pivot, project, slipjoint, tang, template, tips, wood