MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 05-05-2003, 03:19 PM
Hall of Famer

Hot Shop Going to the print shop

Finally finished proofing it today. It's going to the print shop, yahoo, now I get to pound some iron so I can pay for it. It's 20 pages, cover to cover about my shop, tools and basement collection.

Gene Chapman
Oak and Iron Publishing
www.oakandiron.com/

Last edited by Gene Chapman; 05-05-2003 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:26 PM
Skilled

Gene, I wish I'd waited and ordered that one too. I guess there's always tomorrow. Heh. You do good work buddy.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:58 AM
Hall of Famer

Thanks Max, that one was a long time in the making. The older I get, the slower I go.

Tomorrow I pound iron, got to pay the print shop.

I use propane, anybody use natural gas??

Gene Chapman
Oak and Iron Publishing
www.oakandiron.com/
Old 05-06-2003, 07:33 AM
Skilled

I'm still using coal Gene. I've got about one more years worth piled up I need to go through and then I'm going to make the switch to propane myself I guess. I've been toying with the idea of figuring out a way to use wood gas while I make charcoal but from what I've heard the flame is just too messy with impurities and it's fairly dangerous. Now if a fellow could figure out a way to bottle that wood gas and let the impurities settle out........

I've never heard of anyone being able to use natural gas and do any good with it. Now, if you had your own gas well with all the pressure you wanted, I think it would work. Most natural gas is metered out in ounces of pressure, never mind pounds. And don't let the gas company catch you routing gas to a forge neither. You own the line from the meter, but they own the meter and they'll pull it in a heartbeat if they detect funny business going on. But if you figure it out, let us know how it goes.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:52 AM

Three cheers! Will it be available through your website. Gene?

Old 05-06-2003, 10:53 AM
Hall of Famer

Dana, wish I had natural gas piped to the place. Seattle has many smiths using natural gas in their forges. The closest pipeline is about 6 miles away from here. From what I've heard propane has more BTU's per unit than natural gas. Everyone I know who uses it, forge welds just fine. Perhaps it needs a little more insulation on the forge.

When I have Hot Shop booklets in hand, they will go on the web site.

Bought 4 ball peen hammers, 2 punches, 2 adjusto Ford wrenches and a old steel spoked wheel, smaller than a wheelbarrow tire in Ellensburg, WA junk/antique shop over the weekend. The wheel makes a great tong rack.

Gene Chapman
Oak and Iron Publishing
www.oakandiron.com/
Old 05-07-2003, 09:21 PM

Hey Gene, when I order mine, do I have to pay extra to have it autographed by the author?

Old 05-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Hall of Famer

Dana, thats a gimmie, iron pounder. When I croak, take it to antiques roadshow, makes it worth a $1.98 more.

Gene Chapman
Oak and Iron Publishing
www.oakandiron.com/
Old 05-08-2003, 09:28 PM
Master

Hi Gene,

If I buy all 8 will you sign them all!? Heck, that'd get me $15.84 back! BTW, how old are you?

-Darren

Visit the Forge Gallery - forge building resource pages
ForgeGallery.EllisCustomKnifeworks.com
Old 05-08-2003, 10:00 PM
Hall of Famer

Ya, sure you betcha. I can draw social security this fall, where do the time go, age 62, who was it who said, "if I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd taken better care of myself". Or something like that, some knifemaker I think.

Gene Chapman
Oak and Iron Publishing
www.oakandiron.com/
Old 05-08-2003, 10:16 PM
Skilled

Nope Gene, that was Dean Martin said that. And he really meant it too! He he. Hey, I got my package today and I've already read all of those books cover to cover!!! What great stuff you put in those books. Man, I'm really pumped now. Those little uglies are going to be my first Gene Chapman project. I love those knives. I can't wait to try all of it though. That antler boring jig is a cool tool and that's for sure. I'm going to make me one of those. Heck, if I live long enough I'm going to make all the tooling you show in them books. And thanks for autographing all of them for me. I won't tell anyone how much you charge for that though. They'll have to find out on their own. It was worth every penny to me though. You're a good dude Gene. And a good friend. Thanks a bundle for the books and all the knowledge that goes with them. They'll revolutionize my smithing efforts. Don't forget to save me a copy of your Hot Shop. Tell me how much to total will be and I'll go ahead and send you another check old buddy.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:27 PM
Hall of Famer

Thanks Max. It's been a positive trip doing the booklets. The Hot Shop is still to be printed, maybe several more publications from the shop, tooling and the basement collection, who knows.

"Uglies" are my favorite trinkets. Mostly when forging them I have a grin on my face, if you grinning, you having fun.

Gene

Gene Chapman
Oak and Iron Publishing
www.oakandiron.com/
Old 05-09-2003, 06:25 AM
Enthusiast

Gene,

Always enjoyed your work both at the anvil and at the keys. Can I order your books off'n Oak and Iron web site?

I would love to talk with you via e-mail about the process and such of creating a book. The past six years have seen a tremendous amount of interesting repro ironwork for the museum here, and I would love to put out a book of sketches ala Sonn.
If the inhabitants of the outpost do not mind, I would post here in lieu of email, and thereby share the learning. All of this of course, is contingent upon your acceptance.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:14 AM
Hall of Famer

Homesteader

Homesteader, sure, I?ll try to answer any questions you have. When I started this small potatoes publishing thing, years ago I had no idea how much fun, it would be, when the thrill of seeing your name in print subsides, it?s just pleasurable work.

Now with the advances in digital photography and scanners, it's really a kick to put ideas, tooling, whatever, on disk, then to computer, process it and have it on paper via the printer within minutes.

The same with the forum, just minutes from taking the picture to posting it.

Oak and Iron web site isn?t set up for ordering on line. I?ll send a brochure, if you like, just email me your address.

oakniron@centurytel.net

Gene Chapman
Oak and Iron Publishing
www.oakandiron.com/
Old 05-09-2003, 10:22 AM
Hall of Famer

Sketchbooks

These sketchbooks are by other folks, bought them over the years at Mt Man show. Most are 48-52 pages in length.
This image took about 5 minutes, camera to forum.

Gene Chapman
Oak and Iron Publishing
www.oakandiron.com/

Tags
forge, forging, knife, knives