MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 01-24-2006, 06:40 PM
Skilled

missing info and random questions

I've missplaced my shop notebook and really need the tempering information for 1095... in particular, what temp for 58-59 RC?

Anyone know a good substitute for colored fiber liners/spacers?

Last but not least, what hardness would you suggest for a 5160/1060 machette (that will be used to death)?

Thank you.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I don't have my notes right in front of me, but if memory serves I believe for Rc 58-59 you'll want to temper at 400-425F.....I might be off, but those numbers ring a bell.

On the spacer issue, my answer is no..... I've never found anything that can replace the vulcanized fiber spacer material, it just plain works great. I know that at one time the knife supply outfits were offering a laminated "hard" spacer material, but it quickly died because it was just like adding additional handle material instead of being flexible like the vulcanized stuff.

On the 5160 I can give a bullseye answer to that...... I toted a 14" blade for 15 years, which went all over the world with me. I cut, dug, shoveled, and scraped from South America to the Middle East (and a lot of other places I don't even care to remember). It still hangs proudly in my shop! Anyway, it is a 5160 blade, triple edge quenched, and then triple tempered at 350F. It was quenched just shy of 1/2 the blade's width.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 01-26-2006, 09:16 PM
Skilled

Thank you Ed. I was thinking 485 on the 1095. I'll try your temp and flex the edge...best to start low and work up. The machette will live out it's life around flinty soil that's already damaged several factory blades.

Thanks again.

Tags
blade, knife