MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 08-31-2005, 02:32 PM
Skilled

Custom Knife in the Making - Cable Damascus No Hammer Marks V2 - Finished Knife

Folks,

This is the Finished Knife that I've made for a tutorial that will appear on David Darom's 3rd book, "100 Custom Knives in the Making"

I've splitted the Tutorial on 3 "chapters" as it's picture intensive.

The book is to be introduced to the public on Blade 2006, and will show a tutorial of mine on no hammer marks cable forging. Please note that the pictures the book will have are of much much more quality!

This knife will be on David's stand on Blade 2006 for all atendees to check it out in person!

I'd like to thank David for his interest on my knives and for waiting until the last minute until I get my arm good enough to hammer again!

Part #1:
http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=30594

Part #2:
http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=30604

Part #3
http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...d.php?p=217257

Before looking at the pictures, please keep in mind that in the close up pictures you might see some irregular stuff that in real life isn't really there or not significant at all because of the microscopic nature of it.

Specs:
10" blade (including bolsters) in cable damascus (1085) 7 1/2 cutting edge. 15" Overall length
Handle in deer stag with a 1" handmade decorated pin. Leather and bronze spacers. Hand stitched and worked leather sheath.

FINISHED KNIFE

One side.

Close ups.

Other side.

Close ups.

Detail of the spine.

Bolster detail.

Old 08-31-2005, 02:33 PM
Skilled

Handle detail.

Detail of the decorative pin. The outter strands are from the removed inner strand.
When the epoxy resin is polished, it's transparent and you can see the cable strands inside the pipe, but it's almost imposible to capture with a camera.

Here's an almost 20X magnification picture trying to show how you'd be able to see the cable strands on the clear resin. (At this magnification, everything will look ugly, as you can see on the already magnified previous pictures, this part has a nice polishing to it if you see it on real life. Keep in mind it's only 1" in diameter)

Showing the worked Gaucho style leather sheath.

Thanks for looking!

Ariel
Old 08-31-2005, 03:26 PM

Wow

Congratulations on the knife. It really turned out awesome, and the decorative "mosaic" cable inlay was a great idea.

I appreciate your sharing your techniques in detail - I can't believe how much I've learned on this forum since I started playing around with the hobby. Thanks!

Will

Tags
blade, forging, knife, knives