MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 10-28-2001, 02:50 PM
Don Cowles

Wet Forming

The question has come up about how to do wet forming of leather. I guess I should start by saying that I adapted my method from the Loveless and Barney book, "How to Make Knives".

This method is for vegetable tanned leather only, and applies to pouch-type sheaths.

After the sheath has been cut out to the desired pattern, I run it under hot water for a few seconds until it is thoroughly saturated. It becomes instantly soft and pliable at this point.*

Lay the knife in the sheath where it will be when it is finished, and with CLEAN hands, squeeze and press the leather all around the shape of the knife. Tight/sharp corners can be done with a bone folder, working it into grooves and bends.

Open the sheath like a clamshell, and set it aside to dry overnight. Dry the knife thoroughly right away!

The next day, finish the leatherwork, and wet the finsihed sheath again. Put the knife in it, and fine-tune all the molding you did the previous day, again using clean hands and a bone folder. When you are satisfied with the appearance and fit, remove and dry the knife, and set the sheath aside to dry for another 24 hours.

It is at this point that I usually do any edge finishing/burnishing, and if I want to waterproof the sheath, I dip it in a 50/50 mixture of 300 Deg. F beeswax and neatsfoot oil, and drain it on paper towel. You can do a final "wet molding" if you wish, in the few seconds before this sets up. NOTE: the sheath should be preheated to about 180 deg. F for 10-15 minutes before the hot wax dip to allow it to absorb the mixture.

*not true of horsehide: you have to wrap that in plastic and stick it in the refrigerator overnight to get it pliable. this is called "casing" the leather.
Old 10-28-2001, 02:58 PM
Tom Militano

Thanks Don,
You just answered exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks.
Tom

Tags
blade, knife, knives