MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2016, 04:25 PM
Guru

handles for cera coated knives....

So I have been playing with cera coat lately and I do like it it gives a real cool finish however it is very easy to spray on too much wich then you have to soak in acetone (DONT BAKE) and do it all over again but I am starting to get the hang of it, however handles have to be ground to fit before you paint other wise you will grind the paint off the tang when grinding handle material. so now basically you have a painted blade and finished handles to attach. now if I attached them like normal slathering acra glass epoxy all over I would have the same problem of grinding the paint off when trying to grind the epoxy off...ray I know we touched on this and you had said who cares if you grind a lil paint off (I wouldn't if it was for me but if its one to sell I don't want to have patches ground off) you also pointed out that a hidden tang would solve that problem and yes it would I need a lil more practice with those. so I have come up with a couple different options and wanted to see what every one thinks might be best. so option one attach the handle with a barrel in the middle and 2 screws holding it on and effectively making it a removable handle, option 2 put the handle on with Corby's alone and no epoxy,,,,option 3 same as option 2 but only putting a little of epoxy between the scale and tang but not enough that it would be oozing out the sides and require grinding to get it off....that's just what I have come up with if you got a better idea I am all ears....thanks guys

Tags
bee, blade, coat, easy, epoxy, fixed blade, grind, grinding, handle, handle material, handles, hidden, hidden tang, knife, knives, making, material, paint, problem, scale, screws, sell, spray, tang, weld