MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:52 PM
Skilled

File work in the handle??

Some ask me why I didn't extend my file work into the handle?

Well, I decided to give it a try. I did the reverse of what I have been doing. No file work on the blade, full file on the handle. I tried to get a picture but taking a picture didnt show it up very well, SO, Here is a short 50 second video.

http://s856.beta.photobucket.com/use...6B4FE.mp4.html

I tried 2 new things on this knife and I like it so far. I'm still not sure whether I should fill all the file work with epoxy? Or try to keep all the epoxy out? What is the correct way to proceed or do both ways work? I'm leaning toward filling it with epoxy just so there are no rough edges in the handle.

Also It's killing me that I have nothing to put on this one for a handle except a piece of diamond wood in black and silver. Somehow it seems to need something else. Any suggestions?

Last edited by ricky_arthur; 01-06-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Master

That looks really nice man. I really like that file work and how it goes all the way around the spine. You don't need to fill the file work but I find it easier to fill it then to try and get the epoxy out. Plus it keeps dirt and crap out.

I agree that the knife needs more then diamond wood. I think some cocobolo or similar dark wood would look great in there with some black liners.

Did you make that blade or was it a kit?

Old 01-06-2013, 08:00 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal99 View Post
That looks really nice man. I really like that file work and how it goes all the way around the spine. You don't need to fill the file work but I find it easier to fill it then to try and get the epoxy out. Plus it keeps dirt and crap out.

I agree that the knife needs more then diamond wood. I think some cocobolo or similar dark wood would look great in there with some black liners.

Did you make that blade or was it a kit?

Thanks. I made it from a piece of 1095 by stock reduction. It is the second of that type. I want to do one similar in Damascus so I have been experimenting a little.

Here is the first one I finished a couple days ago.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Steel Addict

To Keep The Epoxy Out You Just Need To Use A Little Less When You apply It Around The edges.
If You Are Going To Use Handle screws Then The Amount Of Epoxy You Would Need To Use Would Be Minimal.
Though If You Just Filled It In, Then Like Metal99 Said It Well Keep The Crap Out.

Last edited by jes4e; 01-06-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:44 PM
Master

Nice design man it looks well balanced. I'm a huge fan if the finger choil (bad spelling?)

Old 01-06-2013, 10:07 PM
Steel Addict

An elm burl or maple burp with black epoxy to fill in around the file work would look way sharp.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:17 PM

I love the file work Rick. I've been filling my file work with colored epoxies. Makes for buffing the exposed handle area alot easier and really adds bling. IMHO.

I picked up a piece of stabilized cocoa maple burl the other day for a pretty good price. It has real pretty burly milk/dark chocolate colors. I'm thinking of using a thin, dark brick red or tan spacer with a deep red epoxy to fill the file work. Dont be afraid to fill the work, it really does look nice if your into that look.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:21 PM
Skilled

What do you use to color the epoxy? I'll probably be putting the scales on today. That one has been on hold and it's time to finish it.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Skilled

USA knifemaker has quite a few different colored epoxy dyes for sale. I realized early on that craft paint worked at changing the epoxy color but seriously hindered the set time and final bond strength.

Looks like you got the knife making bug as seriously as many have gotten the flu. Keep up the good work
Old 01-21-2013, 02:06 PM
Skilled

Yes I have a serious case of Knife Influenza.

Tags
1095, bee, blade, damascus, design, diamond, file, file work, for sale, handle, kit, knife, knife making, knifemaker, made, make, making, man, paint, scales, sharp, spacer, video, wood