MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:38 PM
Living Legend

Hollow handle integral

When I was a kid I had a couple cheapo survival knives that eventually broke after some use. I wanted one that would be tough and made out of carbon steel. So I got a hold of a 1 1/8" chunk of wrecking bar and made one, the way I wanted it. The handle cavity was bored out and then I forged the blade. It took four tries to get it right but I finally finished this one. The saw teeth on the spine are like fixed chainsaw teeth and cut very aggresively. I used 6ALV4 titanium for the guard since the knife is a bit heavier then most that size. The handle was wrapped in Kevlar thread and sealed with wood sealer.

Blade 9.5"
Overall length is 14"

Drawing out with a hammer video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea1bVrARZNA

Drawing with a swage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGQb6mNQ9T0

Quenching
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6hex26QXVg

Below the belt loop is a smaller loop for the leg strap. The strap is a nylon 26" dog collar.

I machined the pommel from 2011 aircraft aluminum and has a compass and an internal cavity/chamber. The cavity will hold about 1 Tbs. of magnesium thermite which can be ignited with a flint.

Video of a bottle cap full of mag thermite. If you can't start a fire with this then you better just stay home.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pMXlTggWU4

The touch up stone is a 1/4" boride EDM stone that is mounted in a magnesium handle that will store the stone inside. The handle has a 1/8" wall thickness so you could shave off magnesium from it for fire starting. At the bottom of the handle is a small chamber full of mag thermite which can be lit and would ignite the entire handle to become a very bright signal flare. The entire stone and handle only weighs 2 oz. The stone will also be able to touch up the 1/4" saw teeth.

Last edited by B.Finnigan; 05-28-2007 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:24 PM
Registered

Very nice setup, I too had one of those cheapo survival knives. It's cool to see a good knife maker use that idea to produce a functional one.

You could probably manufacture the stone/magnezium tube and sell a ton.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:49 PM
Steel Addict

Great knife, Brent, and cool videos, too. You really put some thought into that. It's not a survival knife; it's a survival system!
Old 05-25-2007, 11:56 PM
Living Legend

Thanks! It was a good challenge to design and finish. The knife is strictly a working knife so I did not put any visual flow into it. The center of balance is two inches in front of the guard so that it will chop good.

Before I HT'd it I wanted to test out the rake and pitch angle on the teeth. It took about 6-7 minutes to get through this piece of seasoned maple. After the testing I decided to increase both pitcha nd rake and now it is even more aggresive.

Tags
blade, knife, knives