MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 07-15-2001, 12:38 PM
ghostdog

Canadian Content.

I wonder if the time has come for a Canadian Forum?

A forum where Canadian makers can be listed.
A forum where Canadian happenings can be posted.
A forum where Canadian suppliers are noted.
A forum where Canadian laws as they relate to knives can be posted.
A forum of Canadians helping Canadians.

I can think of other reasons for a Canadian Forum but I think those
of you who do read this can see the potential.

I do not believe that a Canadian Forum would be extremly busy but I do not
think it would go ignored either.

I am not sure that Canadian makers as a whole are Internet savvy. I
don't mean that in a derogatory way either, it is just that most
of Canada is rural and development is slower than in the States.
As I see CKD, quality growth is inevitable. From my perspective,
now is the time for this kind of expansion, allow a new forum to
grow rather than explode.

ghostdog AKA Keith Bruner
Old 07-15-2001, 01:53 PM
primos

The only problem I can see is one of perceived segregation. It would defeat the idea of bringing all knifemakers, collectors, and general knife enthusiasts from around the world into a single hub to share thoughts and ideas.

I do think that it would be neat to have something like the Canadian Knifemakers Guild in our Knife Making Organizations (Association Boards) area though, if there was a representative of the organization willing to moderate.

All the things you've mentioned such as listings, happenings, suppliers, etc., can already be done with the current format. They're not specific to the Americans, Canadians, British, Danes, and so on. We're just one big worldwide family here, and I love it.
Old 07-15-2001, 03:21 PM
ghostdog

Re: Canadian Content..

Hi Terry,

Your comments are interesting. I see it quite the opposite. To me, having
a Canadian Forum creates a stepping stone to bring Canadians into
the family. I see my problems as a Canuck a little differently than an American
does. For me to get help, or find supplies when using the web I usually end up in
the U.S. somewhere. I find, and many others I am sure, that it takes a lot of work
to find Canadian resources. A centralized location with pointers would be a real plus.

CKD is in its own way already segragated. There are several different forums,
specializing in their own areas. I think having an area devoted to the Canadian
Guild is limiting.

Terry, I guess the kind of thing that concerns me the most is the traffic. CKD is going
to grow. The largest by far membership is going to be American. Lets say I post in
one of the related forums that I found a great little web site where they have handmade
widgets for sale at a giveaway price and I bought some and the quality was awesome. But
this information is really only of interest to Canadians because Americans have access to
as good or better deals. But the American deals are quite ezpensive to Canucks because of
exchange, shipping costs, and duty. Anyway, I post it. Ten days later the info is gone
because of traffic. Maker's web addy's or snail mail addy's etc can all go the same way.

I have to tell you an interesting expeience I had. Recently, when I really got going
with knife making I looked on the web for a book or two. Well Don Fogg recommended
David Boye's book. I searched in Canada for ther book and didn't find it. So I went to
Amazon through Don's site. I bought a used copy for 14 bucks U.S., which is the same as
21 dollars Canuck. I also had to pay 15 dollars U.S. shipping charges.And then,I had to
drive to town to pick the book up and pay tax and handling fee to retrieve it from the Post Office. That book ended up costing me almost 50 dollars and when I sat down and thought about it, it left a real bad taste in my mouth. I was gouged because I am a Canadian. Probably
there is a Canadian source of the book that is cheaper in the long run, but I don't know.
If there was a Canadian forum I would probably try again to find a source in Canada for
the book and post it.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts

Take care

ghostdog
Old 07-16-2001, 05:43 AM
Don Cowles

Re: Canadian Content..

Ghostdog,my biggest concern with the idea of *any* national forum is that it would take the participating players out of the mainstream.

Just as an example, I can tell you that I never, ever read any of the threads on the Mississippi Knifemakers forum. It's not that I don't care what they are doing, but simply that it does not pertain to me. If we want to grow the knifemaking community here, I think it would be a mistake to have a Brazilian, Swedish, Danish, Australian, Canadian or any other segregated forum.

As you get to know the people in the international community, you will discover resources that you couldn't possibly find if you were to limit yourself to Canadian contacts.

If I have a question about Canadian materials or shows, I post it here and I get all the answers I need - not just from Canadians, but from others who have been there.

I'm adding another line here in support of my point made above about the Mississippi Knivemakers- I don't know who any of these guys are, because they rarely post outside their own forum. I think we are all missing out when this happens.
Old 07-18-2001, 10:48 AM
ghostdog

Re: Canadian Content...

Hi Don, thanks for chiming in. Your points are well taken and I can agree to a certain extent.
When I first got thinking about a Canuck forum here I went through CKD fairly quickly and could only find 2 Canadians other than me who I could identify...which doesn't really mean a whole hill of beans because I am new.
I went over to Blade Forums and found a Canadian Forum...I even ended up posting in it....and there were several Canucks identifying themselves, asking questions, and posting information. One of the Canadians I had identified as a user here had several posts there.
I was over there again, and saw some talk about an Art Knife Show in Bayfield, Ontario. First I knew of it. I came back to CKD and looked for an announcement or some skuttlebut and only found it mentioned in one place. It was your post announcing your invite to display there and asking about accomodation.
Interestingly enough, in the thread you started I saw a post from George Tichbourne <sp> and noted he is a founding member of CKD. I knew who George Tichbourne was from his participation in the Canadian Forum over at Blade Forums.
A few of the names, I spotted in the Canadian Forum at Blade Forums I was able to spot as active in the regular forums over there...the two forums I peruse are custom knives and the workshop forum.
From the Canadian Forum at Blade Forums I found links to a couple of Canadian makers I had never heard of....which again is no big deal as I am new to this....from one of them I can purchase damascus with out going through the border/customs ripoff scene.
I can not speak for the Mississipi guys but I can say if I was looking for information about Mississipi knives or makers or suppliers it is the first place I would go.
I think Don that one area where we really are aways apart is our familiarity in and too the knife world. You are an old hand and have contacts and knowledge acquired over time. Me, I am new and I am looking. A lot of my thoughts about a Canadian Forum are for people like me, whether makers or collectors or just interested...new to the arena...
Well I best get moving,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Don.

ghostdog
Old 07-18-2001, 11:15 PM
dogman

I like to think of us as a community of custom knifemakers and collectors. The only segragation is by knifemaking discipline and subject matter area. I don't see "Canadian" knifemakers and "Australian" knifemakers and "American" knifemakers, I just see makers. If you have a issue specifically related to Canadian makers, a simple description in the title will bring attention.

Until we grow to a point where people are getting lost because there is too much traffic, I don't want to add any more forums. I am definitely open to it in the future, when volume can justify it.

If the Canadian Knifemaker's Association would like to start their own forum, I would be open to that. I would like to see this place become a central clearing house for official association business, no matter what that association is.

As we grow, I will definitely look at the merits of new forum areas.

Old 07-19-2001, 10:38 AM
ghostdog

O.K., I know when I have been outvoted.
Thanks you guys for your time and your thoughts.

ghostdog
Old 07-22-2001, 05:29 PM
viper5192

It's not a being outvoted issue, there are plenty of Canadian makers and collectors out there, and they will show up in their own time. I myself don't think we should go the way of another, unnamed forum out there. It didn't seem to make any difference there, why would it here???

Tags
art knife, blade, knife, knife making, knives