MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:14 PM
Steel Addict

A Leather carving

This is one of my first leather carvings that I have done. Since I'm Canadian I figured a maple leaf would be a good place to start. I went to the yard and picked a fresh leaf and a scrap piece of leather, traced it and just went from there. I'm actually ok with the way it turned out for a first try and I learned quite a bit about how the leather reacts. Feel free to throw out some pointers or what I did wrong. Here it is and thanks for looking.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:18 PM
Steel Addict

Did wrong! Ha!

Looks great for your first time out. You'll find that when you do one for real that layout will be the key to a home run. I've seen lots of leather work that was done technically ok but lacked the finesse to really wow you.

Keep it up looks good.

Erik
Old 07-17-2014, 10:10 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks Eric. This was a practice for a sheath I am hoping to finish up in the next couple days. I wanted to do something other than leaving it plain or a basket weave. I like the basket weave but I don't want to keep doing the same thing over and over. I'llsee the mood and ttiming for tomorrow. I will probably just go for it. Worst case I scrap a little piece of leather. Wouldn't be the first time. Lol. Still open to any last minute pointers.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:28 PM
rawcustom

I'm no pro, and for a first attempt this looks really good. Things I notice to work on is cutting a clean smooth lines with your swivel knife. It looks like most of your lines you cut with your background stamp. It's also would add detail to add some detail cuts, veins, folds, etc. These don't have to be much and can be light, but they really add to your work especially if you use an antique finish.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:48 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks. I didn't get to do anything today but I should have some time tomorrow. I did cut all of the edges that I beveled but then I also went past the cuts because the vein cuts were too far apart. I wonder if I should m aby try just cutting the veins and not beveling. I feel lost when it comes to leather. Lol.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:15 AM

Not Bad for your first time... Keep Practicing, that's all it takes to get better.
Best of Luck

For More Information about Leather Cleaning visit us at www.sydneyleathercleaners.com.au

Last edited by SYLeatherClean; 07-21-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:41 AM
Skilled

Gives me inspiration! I am about to attempt something similar and try my hand also at filework. Thanks.

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 07-27-2014, 08:20 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks guys. Tony. Go for it. I still have not tried any file work but it's going to happen in the near future.

Well I decided to go ahead with the sheath and I finished it today. Let me know what you guys think.

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/Ic...44aaa.jpg.html

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/Ic...aec8c.jpg.html

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/Ic...c0b6c.jpg.html

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/Ic...333bf.jpg.html

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/Ic...9e5cb.jpg.html
Old 07-27-2014, 09:47 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icho View Post

Well I decided to go ahead with the sheath and I finished it today. Let me know what you guys think.
Icho, that sheath is fantastic! That carving is incredible and I like the 3 leaves instead of one big one. Really amazing stuff. And I like the knife to boot! LOL. I saved some pics to reference later if you don't mind.

I could barely read you maker's mark (pic size). What is your knife logo name? Do you have a web page? Thanks and keep it coming! Inspirational!

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 07-27-2014, 10:10 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks Tony. I don't mind at all. It's actually an honor that someone would use something I did for reference. I don't have a website yet but I do want to get something going. I have to look into how to do it one of these days. I do have a Facebook page.https://www.facebook.com/IZugajCustomKnives. I've been slacking on it but actually added some stuff on there earlier tonight. My logo says I Zugaj custom knives Windsor, Ontario. I do want to order new stencils with a slightly larger logo. If I dont get a perfect etch you can't read the smallest letters. Thanks again Tony.

Tags
antique, art, bee, boot, carving, cleaning, custom knives, etch, file, file work, filework, first time, hand, holster, home, how to, knife, leather, leather die, leather tooling, maker's mark, maple, sheath, tanning, throw