MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community

Knife Network Community TKN is all about excellence and sharing info. Our 'other' lives are also filled with stories, events, and opinions. This forum is an opportunity to discuss outside interests, personal experience, things that make us happy and things that don't!

Old 06-22-2014, 01:44 AM

Stag handle in the kitchen?

My wife's grandfather died recently. As we tidied his affairs and disposed of his household goods, I noticed that his kitchen utility cutlery - that is, knives with which he prepared food - were extremely old and obviously built to order. Blades are non-stainless steel that are stained but without corrosion. They are an interesting patina. Handles are wood slabs, sometimes riveted, sometimes pinned.

He owned two hunting/outdoor sheath knives. Again, blades are non-stainless steel while handles are stag; I have no idea what type though. And again, blades are beautifully maintained, albeit stained, and built to order.

One thing struck me as incongruous or, at least, interesting. His knives were important enough in his daily life to warrant having them made "his way." Why was not stag used for kitchen cutlery handles? His outdoor knives' stag handles are in excellent condition after generations of use. So durability is apparently not an issue.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:27 AM
Skilled

Ford and Chevy. Some people like stag, others don't. You don't see it much in the kitchen, at least I don't get many request for it.

Tags
blades, cutlery, handle, handles, hunting, kitchen, knives, made, outdoor, sheath, stag, stag handle, stainless, stainless steel, steel, wood