MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 02-06-2004, 12:09 PM
Registered

Kydex liner for Scandanavian style sheath

I just recently got into making Scandinavian stlye knifes and sheaths for them. I have found that the sheaths need to have a good, strong liner. Does anyone have a "simple" way of forming .062 kydex to form a liner? I have thought about forming the kydex around the blade ala moulding leather around a knife. I have also entertained the idea of making the liner from 2 individual pieces of kydex, one flat and the other formed and bonding the two to form a liner. Any advise before I start experimenting and wasting time and material? Thanks!
Old 02-13-2004, 07:52 PM
Enthusiast

Hey Toshmo...

A kydex liner is no problem to make..
I would suggest doing a fold over design rather than a two piece design...

Reason being,,with a two piece design,, now you have two seams to contend with.. You also aren't going to get the best fit from a two piece sheath... The fold over sheath gives you a much better fit, and is easier to tune...

ttyle

Eric...

Leading the Way in
Quality, Custom Synthetic Sheathing
Old 02-26-2004, 04:11 AM
Enthusiast

Re: Kydex liner for Scandanavian style sheath

Quote:
Originally posted by Toshmo
I just recently got into making Scandinavian stlye knifes and sheaths for them. I have found that the sheaths need to have a good, strong liner. Does anyone have a "simple" way of forming .062 kydex to form a liner? I have thought about forming the kydex around the blade ala moulding leather around a knife. I have also entertained the idea of making the liner from 2 individual pieces of kydex, one flat and the other formed and bonding the two to form a liner. Any advise before I start experimenting and wasting time and material? Thanks!
I have some advice... DON*T BOTHER WITH A LINER! You don't need it. I make scandis, it's the only type I make. I have never used a liner.

My thinking is that you maybe feel that the blade will cut throught the leather?

It all has to do with the measurements you take. Please feel free to look at my website and look at the sheaths I make.

If you want any help then please mail me and i'll be glad to help. Adding a liner costs more and is not needed.

When the going gets tough, the tough throw it away and start again!

Tags
blade, knife