MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Balisong Discussions

Balisong Discussions Customs to productions, discussions about balisongs/butterfly knives, what's the best and how to do those crazy tricks.

Old 05-15-2005, 09:02 AM
Skilled

bite handle marker

I've got a question for all you latchless nut's,i'm having my first latchless custom done and it's close to completion.i'm wondering how some of you have had the bite handle marked off to distinguish which handle is which?

i'm not a fan of using a small hole for a marker,other then that i'm open to suggestion's!
Old 05-16-2005, 08:09 PM
Skilled

One idea I tried recently (and like a lot)..., is simply having the handle material vary in texture. Larry Davidson recently made me a Damascus Weehawk using Ivory I got with this in mind.

The safe handle has deep natural grooves in the Mastodon Ivory (Bark-Type), and the other handle is quite smooth. Incredibly easy to feel which is the safe handle, but if you're going to carry this knife for use.., obviously Ivory may not be a good idea.

I have a friend that likes to take the inserts out of old custom latchless models, and use filed/striated G10 or Micarta on the safe handle, and leave the bite handle polished/smooth. This doesn't look so swift to me....., but it works great, and he beats the poop out of his anyway.

If you want "Super Clean" looks.., you can also just have the mindset to (1) always carry a latchless in a sheath and orient the handles as you want them.., or (2) simply train yourself to always make your first opening a Windmill (hence no ricochet). You can then orient the knife with a half-turn, or leave it as is if the "Grab Bag" gave you the safe handle...

"There is no greater wisdom.., than [KINDNESS]"

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Last edited by ExamonLyf; 05-16-2005 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:41 PM
Skilled

Thank's for the input Pete,I intend this one to be a user so the handles are just skeletonized ss,the same design Matt (pinoy) used on one of his 6" brass bali's.i might just leave it blank since i prefere the look of a clean latchless bali!

I really like a recent dobi i saw,latchless with the bottum of the safe handle done in a crackle finish,i guess the options are pretty much endless i'm sure ill get something figured out!
Old 05-17-2005, 09:53 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to shooby
You could also do what Korth does on a couple of their models; use a file to make little thumb grooves on the top of the handle near the tang (like what you find on many Benchmade folders).

Ouch! I cut myself
Old 05-17-2005, 10:30 AM
Enthusiast

How about putting a pocket clip on the " Bite" side then if you don't want the clip you can remove it and have a small machined spot where the clip used to be ?

Balistic ill send you some pic's soon
Old 05-17-2005, 10:56 AM
Skilled

Neat idea,but with it being latchless i think it'll be awkward to to use the clip!i think i'll leave this one unmarked and just be cautious with first opening's.

Tags
knife, knives