MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:39 AM
Registered

Heat Treating Kiln - Help please

Hallo

I am a knife maker from Norway, and I m not able to fnd a heat treating kiln anywhere here in Norway, so I have decided to make one myself.

Could anyone please help me by choosing supplies for a small heat treating kiln? I would really appreciate any help.

Size of kiln approximatly: 10"W x 6,5"H x 13,5"D
Power supply 230v and 20 amp.

Could someone please help me choose Kanthal wire, and supplies for temperature management?

Please help a fellow knifemaker :-)

Last edited by KMan; 04-09-2014 at 03:44 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:05 AM

I originally built my own kiln with a lot of help from Pottery Supply House here in Canada. They have a department that will help those who wish to build their own kilns. Having said that, I would highly recommend that you save your money and get a true knifemakers kiln from Evenheat or Paragon. I was amazed how much easier it was once I switched to my Paragon.
Steve

Old 04-09-2014, 11:32 AM
Registered

Thank you Steve for a quick reply! I must say you have produced some really beautiful knives! A real inspiration for newbies like me.

I do not make many knives a year, and i have previously heat treated by using a furnace (both coal and gass driven). At the moment I only have access to a little workshop, and things would be a lot easier if i had a electric kiln. I do not have a budget for a knifemakers kiln like Evenheat or Paragon at the moment, and thought that making one myself was a good option. Perhaps I should reconsider, start saving and send my blades to get heat treated by a supplier meanwhile.

Last edited by KMan; 04-09-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:40 AM

That sounds like a better plan. You will find that the cost of the electronics and the bricks adds up pretty quick and your savings will not be what you expect. But if you go on PHS.com you can see what they have and make your own choice. I would also suggest you check around for some used pottery kilns. There do tend to quite a few of them around for very reasonable prices. They are usually to big for what we need but as an interim step can work.
Steve

Tags
art, blades, build, choose, heat, help., knife, knifemaker, knives, make, make your own, making, supplies, supply