MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 04-08-2016, 05:03 PM

Jerry Fisk Big Bowie headed for China

Jerry made this bad boy for a collector in China. I read somewhere that as the market for very high end custom knives has cooled off a little in the US, it has also picked up in China. With this blade's destination in mind I opted for a somewhat different background. Edged tools and weapons have been appreciated in all cultures since the beginning. The background image is from the famous 6,000 clay warriors found in the ancient tomb of China's first emperor during approximately 200-300 AD.

The OAL is just shy of 18 inches. Blade is 12 3/4 inches tip to guard and features a wicked single-bevel recurved clip. Clam shell S guard, extensive deep relief engraving, highly colored fossil mammoth handle and plenty of gold accompany the dog-star damascus steel blade to make for an impressive bowie style knife. And it fits neatly into an elegant Paul Long sheath - black vegtan leather, black shark skin and black croc hide.

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 04-09-2016, 09:53 AM
Hall of Famer

WOOOWWWWW!
Old 04-09-2016, 08:44 PM

It's an impressive creation for sure, Don.
When I step back and study a knife like this one I always wind up focusing on the power of the curving line - not necessarily the obvious visual curves here and there - but the overall subtle curving lines that run the length of the knife. The perspective inset upper left shows how that works from the tip of the blade to the end of the handle.
My impression is that it's something that takes a lot of experience to perfect design-wise. It's very easy to over-do it and diminish the magic. Just my humble opinion - others may see it differently of course.

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper

Tags
bee, beginning, bevel, blade, bowie, collector, custom, custom knives, damascus, engraving, guard, handle, image, knife, knives, leather, made, make, mammoth, relief, relief engraving, sheath, steel, tools, weapons