MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Hall of Famer

Grinders

At the risk of reopening a can of worm, a piece of advise for all those Newbies out there who are thinking of getting a wood working bench belt sander and putting metal grinding belts on it and using it as a grinder. If you don't already have one, don't waste your money getting one. Mine seemed like a good deal until I got my Coote set up and I saw the difference; it was like going from a tricycle to a good quality mountain bike. My 4X36" econo-delux model from the local tool-in-a-box store was a real waste of money and not a whole lot quicker than files, once I learned how to use them. It was also about as much money as it cost for a used motor for the grinder. I'm not getting into the Grizzley, Coote, KMG, or whatever arguement. I may eventually regret not going all the way and getting a KMG, that said, I also have met a knifesmith that earned his journeyman's stamp with two Grizzleys.

Think about your needs and consider what you can afford to lay out and get the best grinder that you can afford that meets YOUR criteria. Until then, stick with hand tools. There are many tools that can be adapted to metal work. A bench wood sander is not one of them, at least in my experience. If you already have one in the shop and want to try it anyway, get the best belts that you can find.

Doug Lester

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives