MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 06-27-2017, 08:36 PM

Help With Knife

Hello Everyone.
I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if I am out of line.
I recently came across a knife that I really liked at a garage sale. It just felt really good in my hand so I knew it had to be a quality knife. I wasn't familiar with Randall knives until I did a little research on the net and found this wonderful forum. After reading so many post I knew I found some experts. If you would be willing to share some info about this knife it would be most appreciated. I'd like to know the age and history if possible and maybe the value as I really like this knife. I've attached pictures of it along with the sheaf and stone that came with it. There is a name etched into the handle and also on the sheaf that I guess belonged to the owner?

Last edited by pryceplace; 07-02-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:50 PM
Skilled

1950's Model 3-7" Hunter with pinned Sambar stag handle with fingergrips. All original knife. These were Bo Randall's favorite style. If you found it at a garage sale, I'm sure you purchased it for less than a $500-600 value.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:57 PM

Hey thanks for the info. yes I got it for $25
Old 06-27-2017, 09:04 PM
Guru

Holy cow, a Randall for $25!

Old 06-27-2017, 09:48 PM
Skilled

Bill is spot on as usual.

I would have guessed 3-6 by the look stamping on the sheath is a little odd... 7 over 15? I also would have guessed mid-late '50s, pinned handle. Hope you can find a way to repair the sheath. In any case, it is a really good deal on a really nice knife. Seems to be in very good shape, few if any sharpening marks... not used much if at all. The loss of the pocket snap is probably because of mold, not over use.

I've always thought the m3 is the most graceful of all the models... and I like the feel of the one I have. The sharpening stone by itself may be worth $100-150 or so.

Ron Mathews may "pin" down the details a little further as he is probably the most knowledgeable about the model and era.

Last edited by Jacknola; 06-27-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:54 AM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
The model 3 and model 7 look so much alike to me. I don't really see much difference between this and a model 7.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:35 AM
Skilled

Bill, I think you are right in time frame, mid '50's judging the pin and deep choil, but it's a model 7-5. The sheath has one of those 3rd number designations (1), the 7 is model number, and 5 is blade length. No one knows for sure, but It has been suggested that the 3rd number was a dealer code designation.
Interesting aspect of this subject knife is the name stamped into the stag. Never saw this on a Randall. Shop done or after the fact?

Regards, Sam

Last edited by samg; 06-28-2017 at 04:07 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:12 AM
Skilled

Sam is correct, it is a Model 7 and not a Model 3. The only difference between the two is the thickness of the blade, with the M3 having a thicker 1/4" blade. And the original poster can measure the blade length easy enough. If it is a Model 7, it will only have a 4"-5" blade length.

These are the kind of finds that all of us dream about! Congrats!
Old 06-28-2017, 09:08 AM

Thanks, Jack. I think it's a 7-5 as well. You can get a good reference on the blade length by comparing the handle length (Including the hilt) which is roughly 4 1/2" for a medium size Randall vs. the blade length. In this case the blade is not much longer than the handle. Randall did not offer a 3-5 in the mid 50's.

I put the knife mid-fifties primarily because of the stone. I believe the sheath was in the bin for a couple of years because of the three number marking.

The blade is a "Model 6 grind"! Very rare for a knife this early. I've only seen two Model 3's with a 6 grind this early. No Model 7's.

What stands out to me is the quality of the stag handle. Maybe 1/50 were this good.

The condition is outstanding. I believe most of the schmutz on the blade can be cleaned up by a light polish with a metal cleaner.

OP: Welcome to the world of Randalls. I hope this knife gives you a lifetime of pleasure.

Regards to all,

Ron

Last edited by BoBlade; 06-28-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:15 AM
Skilled

Thanks Ron. In the interest of general RMK education, could you explain what a No. 6 grind is and how it differs from a standard grind (I think I know, but...)? I thought the blade looked too short to be a 3-7" but the belly looked too full to my eyes to be a model 7. Also, are you thinking the sheath is a little older? I once started to look at Heiser sheath markings to categorize them and gave up pretty quick.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:56 AM

Jack,

The best way to explain is by pics:

This is the standard blade grind for a Model 3 or Model 7. Note the "false edge" grind on the top spine of the blade that starts just after the blade stamp and continues all the way to the tip. It comes down maybe ~ 1/4:

Randall's Model 6 with a 9" blade is their carver. Note how there is no false edge on a Model 6 grind: The primary edge grind extends all the way up to the spine. This grind facilitates slicing as the blade remains one primary sharper angle all the way to the spine. :

Regarding numbers on the back of the sheath. I don't believe the 3 numbering system extended past ~ 1952 based on the attributes of the knives accompanying those sheaths.

Let me know if any.

Bext,

Last edited by BoBlade; 06-28-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:15 AM
Skilled

Thanks Ron for catching that 6 grind. Here are 3 photos, center is subject knife, upper is model 7 from 1954 catalog, bottom photo is model 6 carving knife from 1954 catalog.
Easiest way for me to see difference is, on model 7, main grind line follows horizontally the knife edge till it intersects top false grind line.
Model 6, the grind line angles up to intersect top of spine.
IMO the subject knife is a hybrid between the M6 & 7 grind. Note on the #7 that false edge on top dips down a bit, where there is no dip on the #6. On the subject of, it has a bit of a dip like a #7, but not as pronounced.
Sam

Last edited by samg; 06-28-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:21 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm trying to follow everything that you all are saying but I can see I have ALOT of researching to do on Randall Knives. I've added some more pics to try to clarify, if I'm missing something please let me know

Last edited by pryceplace; 07-02-2017 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samg View Post
IMO the subject knife is a hybrid between the M6 & 7 grind. Note on the #7 that false edge on top dips down a bit, where there is no dip on the #6. On the subject of, it has a bit of a dip like a #7, but not as pronounced. Sam
Sam, There were minor differences in grinds resulting from different artists doing this job. From that standpoint, each one of these knives is a "one off". At the same time, the knife had to pass the scrutiny of Bo at final inspection making sure the product aligned with the catalog's portrayal of that Model and and the customer's specific order. IMO anyone at the shop would call this knife's grind a Model 6 and not a "hybrid".

Pryceplace: Nothing more needed by me. Thanks. Just keep researching this forum and other Randall forums if you have the time. And be beware that Randall collecting can be an addiction.

Regards,

Ron

Last edited by BoBlade; 06-28-2017 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:45 PM

Thank you all, for all of your expertise. Now guess I better get on with his new addiction LOL

Tags
angle, bee, blade, blade grind, easy, edge, education, etched, expertise, grind, hand, handle, hunter, knife, knives, model 7, post, randall, sale, sharpening, sheath, stag, stag handle, stone, thickness