MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:26 PM

Heat Treat Question

I've been reading up on some different HT treating techniques, for those of us just using coal forges, and one idea I've seen is using a piece of pipe in the fire to hold the blade in, to help even out and control the heating process.

I was thinking of giving that a try. I don't have any scrap pipe I can use since what I have is galvanized, but I do have a 40" chunk of 2x5 tube. The walls are 3/16. I was thinking of cutting off a 12 or 14 inch section, welding some scrap on one end to close it off, and just using that.

My question is, do you think this would be an okay option? As I got to thinking about it, I wasn't sure how the rectangle shape of the tube would effect things. I'm not great at physics or thermal dynamics, but it does seem like a round pipe would radiate the heat inside more evenly. So, just wasn't sure if this was even worth trying, or if I should just wait until I run to the hardware store next and just get some black pipe.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:13 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

You'll probably have a hard time finding a large enough black pipe at the hardware store. At least, I know I've had to order mine online because there's nothing over 1" available locally in black.

The square should work OK. The pipe is a shield against the moving gasses, some areas of which will be hotter than others in a less than perfect forge. The square tube can perform that function pretty well too, I would guess. The atmosphere inside the tube is small and only moves by convection so it should tend to equalize rapidly no matter the shape of the container. Round might indeed be better but square should work well enough ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 12-29-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
You'll probably have a hard time finding a large enough black pipe at the hardware store. At least, I know I've had to order mine online because there's nothing over 1" available locally in black.

The square should work OK. The pipe is a shield against the moving gasses, some areas of which will be hotter than others in a less than perfect forge. The square tube can perform that function pretty well too, I would guess. The atmosphere inside the tube is small and only moves by convection so it should tend to equalize rapidly no matter the shape of the container. Round might indeed be better but square should work well enough ...

Excellent info. Thanks, Ray. For the few minutes it will take to put together, I guess it is worth a shot then.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:19 AM
Skilled

If you have a standard coal forge, the pipe technique probably wont work too well. I've found a mature coke fire, nice and mellow works well for heating the blade. You just have to move it back and forth over the coals to make sure it's heated evenly. With practice this can give you more control over the heat than using a gas forge at full heat.

Tags
angle, back, bee, blade, fire, forge, hardware, heat, heat treat, hot, knife, make, ore, small, store, welding