MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:56 PM
Skilled

Looks like a tactical ulu Ray...
Old 04-17-2016, 07:54 PM

Bump and very cool
Old 04-18-2016, 10:41 AM

[QUOTE=Ray Rogers;485836]Push daggers are prohibited for carry in the USA but there is no law against owning one unless some local municipality might have such a law. QUOTE]

Gotta ask for some reference here Ray, because push daggers, while banned in some jurisdictions, are certainly not illegal to carry in the USA in general.

The only federal law on knives (unless you have information that I don't) is the Switchblade Knife Act of 1958 (amended in 2009). That legislation makes no reference to push daggers.

Kansas for example has unrestricted carry on any legal knife and/or firearm.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 04-18-2016, 11:31 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Wasn't referring to federal law there, Andrew, but to a large number of local municipalities that have such laws. I know when I was a deputy in Texas that law was on the books and the same for California when I was there. Mostly, my aim there was to let people know that in the majority of locations it was more than likely that carrying one of these would be illegal. As always, checking your local laws is the wise thing to do. In general though, I would expect to find that most most jurisdictions frown on carrying push knives and even if their statutes were vague on the subject the local law officers could be expected to look askance at anyone found with a push knife concealed on their person. As we used to say, 'you might avoid the rap but you can't avoid the ride'. With regard to these knives, better safe than sorry ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-24-2016, 02:57 PM

I see Ray. Hope I didn't offend.

I had a push dagger seized by the Australian Customs once. They held it for months and the recipient had to send it back from Customs or it would have been destroyed. A lot of the former British Empire nations have pretty strict knife laws.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 04-24-2016, 03:13 PM

No offense taken. I certainly don't know all the knife laws in the country. But, I do know that it is really difficult to come up with some valid sounding reason why you're carrying a push knife that doesn't include 'self defense'. Carrying a 'weapon' is illegal in many (perhaps most) places and it is difficult to argue that a push knife is anything else (especially with a cop). Even the open carry laws and Concealed Carry laws that I have read (which isn't all of them) specifically refer to firearms and exclude edged weapons. That one will get you in hot water in a lot of places so I'm just trying to keep the uninitiated from getting themselves in trouble. Ultimately, you need to know the laws in your area. Where push knives are concerned its just safer to assume they aren't legal to carry until you can find a clear statute that says they are. I would want to read it and not accept word of mouth on it if I was planning to carry one of these knives ...

Old 06-23-2016, 12:11 PM

Anybody have any progress to report on this KITH? A picture or two would be nice ...

Old 06-24-2016, 01:16 AM
Skilled

Ive been bribed/threatened by people with actual $$$ to work on other things.

however.... time is coming very soon to get back into the knife shop!
Old 06-29-2016, 06:12 AM
Skilled

I'm slowly getting throught my list. This knife has moved up two places...there's a chef's knife wedding present on the bench now, and then this one is up!

"We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends." Shel Silverstein
Old 08-02-2016, 08:09 PM
Skilled

some KITH progress.....
its a bitch of a time keeping things as symmetrical as possible.
I clamped on the file guide after marking all 4 the center guide lines. (faces, and edges) then using a 3/16 chain saw file I cut in my 4 plunge cuts to the depth where I want them to stop.
ive modified my flat platen to have a 3" rubber contact wheel on the bottom end. so..... I started with the flat to set the depth of the bevel along the edges. then moved down to the 3" contact wheel to begin the hollow grinding. with 60grit I stopped leaving about 1/8" of center line. next I moved up to 220grit to true up my center lines, and clean up the hollow grinds and plunge cuts. I track the edge of the belt 1/8" or so over the side of the contact wheel so itll roll itself around the plunge cut. next bit was a first for me. tried out the 400grit cork belt to blend in the hollows, and clean up the plunge cuts.
got the handle sanded down to 400grit not, and its ready to put my signature on before HT.
this is going to be such a slick little sticker.

as for the rest of the finishing details.... ill leave those to be a surprise later on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2361.jpg (139.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2362.jpg (126.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2364.jpg (136.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 08-02-2016, 09:41 PM

That does look slick! Sorry you had to work so hard on it but you could have made it a single edge instead of a dagger ....

Old 08-02-2016, 09:57 PM
Skilled

I didn't go easy on myself on the last one.... why should this be any different.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:40 PM
Skilled

Wow, that's inspirational! Thanks for posting this

"We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends." Shel Silverstein
Old 10-01-2016, 06:28 PM

its progressing- :) work has freed up some

have the basic overall profile done, need to clean it up more, HT, and finish. I will be doing a single edge and not pressing my luck!
Old 10-01-2016, 08:11 PM
Guru

This is a legal push dagger.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139620...7671162338314/
I hope my link works. Often I put one on here and it doesn't and I do not know why, but they've been pics on Facebook. This is from my album on Flickr. It should work as it is a public album. It is simply a knife with a short handle that can fit in the palm of your hand, but can be pushed out through your fingers. Legal because it doesn't have a T handle. Oh, keep the handle thick and rounded off on the end. I have made some smaller handled than this, but the guy I sold it to had big hands and it can be used for skinning too in a pinch. He did cape a deer with it. It's a kit knife I bought the I just happened to like. Really thick for it's size.

Ray, why doe the push knife have to be hollow ground if I may ask?

Last edited by jimmontg; 10-01-2016 at 08:31 PM.

Tags
blade, buy, collector, dagger, damascus, design, easy, grind, grinder, grinding, handles, hollow grind, how to, ivory, kit, knife, knife kit, knives, made, make, project, push knife, sheath, show, trade