MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:30 PM
Steel Addict

Lightbulb One inch to 5/8.

So my grinder build has hit a bit of a snag. I found a one horse motor internal fan and would work perfectly only hitch is that my pulleys are set for 5/8". I am curious as to is it possible to turn down the existing arbor from one inch to 5/8 with out taking it to the local machine shop? Would it be possible to use the motors own RPM"s and a set of files to turn it down if very very careful attention is paid to the details. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated as I have hit a bit of a hick up.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:02 PM
Skilled

How hard is the shaft. Did you rUn a file over it to test?
Old 02-12-2015, 03:07 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

One inch is an awfully large arbor for a 1 hp motor. The first question to ask yourself is 'how much did this motor cost me?'. Compare that answer to the cost of a new pulley to match the motor you have or the cost of another motor with a 5/8" arbor (you can then sell the motor with the 1" arbor).

You want to do those comparisons because there is a real good chance that if you attempt to turn down that arbor using files your pulley will not run smooth and true and you won't like that result at all....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 02-12-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:28 PM
Steel Addict

Well I hit it with a mill file and it actually bit into the threads relatively easily. So with a little TLC I am going to continue very very carefully to 5/8th. The motor was free and wasn't going to be used in place of a 1/2 horse in 5/8 already. I figure I might as well try it and if it dosen't work then i can always switch back over to the 1/2. I will post a few pitures here soon of the completed project whenever my wheels decide to grace me with there presence. Anyways thank you guys for your input and feel free to keep this going as it's a dual sided motor so i can always try again if anyone has a better way of doing things.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:22 PM
Skilled

I've done something similar. While it's spinning I put the disc grinder to it. Nice and even back and forth and stopping to check with a caliper when I got close. It worked for the whole few years I had it. I've also turned some 5/8" round stock down to 1/2" in the drill press in the same fashion. My version of a lathe. :-)

Tags
arbor, back, build, drill, file, files, grinder, mill, motor, post, press, project, sell, shop, wheels