MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a monthly knife making challenge?
Yes 16 53.33%
Nope 1 3.33%
Maybe/not sure 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2012, 11:05 PM
Steel Addict

For those of you in the same boat as I was a KITH is an acronym for "Knife in the hat," which has nothing to do with stabbing injuries.

Thus far the general consensus has been that a quarterly or bi-annual build would be best and rather than a set prize it would be an exchange between those who participate at the end of the contest. I think the easiest way to determine the winner would be to put it up to a straight vote for 30 days and see who comes out on top.

Now, there are a couple things that I would find difficult to do, one would be putting together a materials list and keeping it at a reasonable cost, which is why I'm trying to see if any of the suppliers out there are interested in collaborating so we all have the same basic stuff to start with, mostly to ensure that this ends up being more of a skill based endeavor than a wallet based one.

As for theme? Well I would want that to change from contest to contest.
So what would you all be comfortable paying for materials for such a contest?
What would you expect to receive as part of the materials for the contest?

So here's where we stand so far:
One contest every 3 months (that is quarterly) and then one month for voting.

Last edited by Imakethings; 11-14-2012 at 11:08 PM. Reason: More to say.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:36 PM
Skilled

That's an excellent idea and Count me in. As for material cost, I'll go with whatever the group says is ok. I'm stoked!!!
Old 11-15-2012, 12:58 AM
Master

I can agree on using the same or similar materials BUT I order from one place mainly so I would either have to use what I have or be able to order the materials from my usual place. I think as long as there are set guidelines for materials it shouldn't matter where they come from. This will be the main deciding factor for me because money is tight and I don't really like the month wait for ordering out of the US.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:22 AM
Steel Addict

I think a freedom on materials supplers may work. I only work in carbon steel that may also need some thought.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:24 AM
Steel Addict

Yeah, I think you're going to have problems being that specific with the materials. What each place carries at what price varies so wildly. You can't expect people to just use what a certain place stocks and not use what they are familiar with. Steel would be a major example. If you're going to limit materials I think cost is about the most effective way to do it.

The thing is this type of thing is usually supposed to be for fun. It's not going to be completely fair no matter what you do. If there's any kind of you have to get x material from x supplier and so on, I think you are going to see interest in participating tank.

It's a good idea. These are just my opinions. It's good that you're trying to put something together for everyone, but just remember that many times the simplest way is the best way.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:11 AM
Steel Addict

Would it be easier to just go with a theme or leave it to each maker to make his best? Similar to a KITH without the delivery. The idea being that we push our limits. My knives will not be of the same fit and finish as most others that may participate but I will do my best work for the cause.

PS. cbsmith111 my 6 year old loves your avatar; he thinks you're gonna catch your beard on fire...
Old 11-15-2012, 08:18 AM
Master

Oh I recieved one. Look, I really don't want to put anyone down or inadverdently hurt any feelings if the gentleman is still on this site, even though I don't think he is.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:59 AM
Hall of Famer

I think this would work. I would not try and control cost. Maybe just the theme.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:24 AM
Enthusiast

Sounds like fun to me!
MoblMec
Old 11-15-2012, 09:35 AM
Skilled

I'm down with the idea, on a twice a year basis maybe. Money's tight for everyone these days, and you full time guys have customers waiting, most likely.

One question, would there be room for us kit knife guys or not? there seems to be a bunch of us newbs who can't for whatever reason (Mine is location) can't forge or do stock removal, but would still love a contest like this.

Also, I'd avoid making Damascus part of the challenges? It's time consuming and costly. Just a thought.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowman View Post

PS. cbsmith111 my 6 year old loves your avatar; he thinks you're gonna catch your beard on fire...
It wouldn't be the first time.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:27 AM
Steel Addict

Alright, so restricting the supplier is out. I understand that. I still think having the materials available as a package from a single reputable supplier (like usaknifemaker.com) would be a good thing, but not necessary to make it mandatory.

So here are the two things I'm thinking of defining the contest:

Style or theme:
Length:

The remainder will be suggestions and examples.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:46 AM
Master

Limiting suppliers is a bad idea. I get my supplies from >8 different places. Limiting material costs is fine, and I'm fine with no damascus. You should indicate mono carbon steel. Or stainless. But not both in the same contest. Likewise with kit knives, a seperate competion. Because then its not a knife making contest, its a handle making contest.

What I would do is create a starting criteria for example:

10" bar of 1/8" carbon steel
No pattern welding
$50 limit on materials
Old 11-15-2012, 10:47 AM
Master

Also, what is being done with the finished knives?
Old 11-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Jensen View Post
Also, what is being done with the finished knives?
Right now, trading with randomly assigned partner at the end of the contest. I'm trying to see if I can drum up some interest from any suppliers, but nothing yet.

I like the idea of limiting the steel to something that folks can easily get (thinking 1080 or 1085) and simply specifying natural or synthetic for the scales.

Currently here's where I'm at NOW:

1. 1080, 1085 or similar steel
2. Natural material handle (wood, bone, etc no plastics)
3. Theme: Every Day Carry knife.
4. Length limit: 10"
5. Fixed blade, single edge.
6. TBD

I'm thinking of throwing one more random idea in there and starting the contest after Christmas and new years is done.

Tags
awesome, axe, back, bee, blade, build, building, damascus, easy, fire, forge, hobby, kit, kit knife, knife, knife making, knives, made, making, material, materials, package, sheath, steel, stock removal