MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:10 PM
Skilled

Handle Material? :)

I look forward to shed season all year, On Wednesday I went shed hunting and found 5 sheds including the first brown shed for the season. It was a big 7 point bull. I ran back out today to see if I could find the other side. My previous record for elk sheds was 7 in one day. This is very rough, ledgey country, I leave all the easy areas for the road hunters. I started picking up white sheds right off the bat.

High on a ridge I hit some elk tracks going up, I had a feeling that I should follow them so Off I went, up and up it went, it started getting ledgy and still up. I climbed out on a rock to glass below me for the 7 point I was hoping to find. When I put the bino's down, I saw this at my feet,

Not my 7 point but a nice 6 point. I left everything there and followed the tracks up and just at the point where it turned sheer cliff, there was the other side. This elk had deliberately went into the ledges to drop it's antlers.

I took that load back to the truck
(I need to buy a shed pack) I slipped and jammed a horn into the top of my knee.

I decided to push it and hit the other side of the road, and had good luck again. About a mile in, This set was laying as pictured.

on the way back out I found another brown horn, a 5 point, but couldn't locate the other side.

Here was the haul from my "quick trip" today a record 9 horns. I'm thinking I will have some of the last years horns died and stabilized for Handle material.

Anyone here that does dying and stabilizing want to trade some antler for stabilizing and dying some?

Last edited by ricky_arthur; 03-15-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:42 AM

Tough break Ricky.......I'm beginning not to like you much! (just kidding)
Nice haul. Lots of nice material there. The white tails are a bit more secretive around here, plus we have a lot more ground cover to make spotting them difficult. They also tend to carry one side off to the next ridge before knocking it off. Rare to find both in the same spot.
And.......they are tiny in comparison to elk as well as very tight curves.
Did run accross a hidden arryo in Northen NMx, that must have been a favorite "drop-spot" there were about a dozen drops in an area about 1/4 acre. Never got back there to plunder the spot.....about 15 miles from vehicle access and a rough climb out. Didn't have a mule and couldn't afford the corn to feed it if I had at the time .

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 03-16-2013, 09:27 AM
Skilled

Carl, most of the shed hunters around here focus on the Mule deer. But like you said, they are smaller and harder to spot. Plus Mule brown deer horns go for about 10$lb and elk 9$ so an elk shed is much more valuable. A elk shed will go 8-15 lbs. On top of that, I know I will probably never draw a tag to hunt elk so My goal is to find a set over 380 and have it mounted. I have found single sides that would have been over 400 bulls but never a set and certainly not a brown set. The 7 point I was looking for would have been a good one, maybe a 360 bull.

My goal this year is to find enough sheds to have a slab poured to build a shed on so I have a place to make knives. I'm about 1/2 there.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:09 AM
Steel Addict

Nice work Ricky! You continue to impress. I blew it for hunting season last fall so I'm going to see if I can find some sheds, elk and mulies. Then it's time to get ready for my first bow season.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:27 AM
Steel Addict

Aw come on man, are you bragging or complaining, I can't really tell at this point!

Wow that is a really nice haul. We don't have any Elk here in Fl. so I can't really feel your pain. OK I lied I get it!!!!!!!!!!!

Be careful I know a friend who fell on a antler. He was carrying a set for rattling. It got him in an embarrassing place, so he was hesitant to go show it too his doctor. It got infected and nearly cost him his family heritage so to speak before the fool went to the doctor! Lets just say if he not finally went to the doctor he may never have been able to this again

I see some really nice knife handles in your future!

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft
Old 03-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Craft View Post
Aw come on man, are you bragging or complaining, I can't really tell at this point!

I see some really nice knife handles in your future!

With Elk sheds, you complain till it's in the truck after that you brag.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:31 AM

Sounds like a good way to get your excersize and pay for something you want at the same time. Not a bad thing in my book. You know, you'll find that big rack in the bushes right next to your truck some day. Always show up where we least expect it.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 03-17-2013, 12:19 PM
Master

That's awesome man! If we didn't have so much snow I would have been out shed hunting this year but its way to deep for that (maybe I'm lazy)

Tags
911, acb, antler, awesome, back, bee, beginning, build, handle, hidden, horn, hunting, knife, knives, make, man, material, rat, tiny