MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-23-2005, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Rant about Knife Sellers

Went to a local gun and knife show this weekend. There were probably 15 or more custom knife sellers that I saw. (And 50 vendors with Chinese-prisoner-made-3-for-$5 knives.)

Two - just 2 - of the custom knife sellers actually spoke to me. They were the only two that looked at me! Most of them just had their knives laid out straight across the table, then sat behind the table, staring at the floor. Did you sell many?? My guess would be: No!

I realize that this was probably not the highest concentration of buyers that you could get. I have no doubt that it gets boring pitching your quality knives and then watching some moron buying a $8 sword from the import dealer across the aisle. But you can't catch fish without bait - and without casting the bait into the water!!

1. You need knives that are attractive. Fishing lures aren't painted bright colors to catch fish, but rather to catch buyers.
2. You need an attractive display. Even the junk import dealers have them mounted so they can be seen.
3. Look at the customers - in the eye! Talk to them. SMILE!
4. Whether they buy or not, be polite. They could return.
5. If someone rejects your knives - even rudely - remember that this person must be a jerk. If someone you respect gets on you, take it seriously. If someone you DON'T respect gets on you, take it as a compliment!!
6. PUT THE D****ed CELL PHONE AWAY! You wouldn't buy ANYTHING from someone who ignored you to talk on the phone, would you?
7. If possible, demonstrate why your knives are superior. I watched a young kid selling some quirky knife sharpener. He must have cut up 10 Sears catalogs during the day to show how sharp he could get knives. AND he managed to get paid $3 per knife to sharpen them for passers-by. (Come to think of it, ever consider making a couple bucks sharpening knives while you're sitting there doing nothing?) There was a LINE at his booth. (He told me his day job was in a feed store.)
8. Put up a sign. Have business cards. Look professional!

If you are unwilling to do at least 6 of the 8, just stay home.

End of my rant.

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knife making, knives