MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 01-23-2005, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Rant about Knife Sellers

Went to a local gun and knife show this weekend. There were probably 15 or more custom knife sellers that I saw. (And 50 vendors with Chinese-prisoner-made-3-for-$5 knives.)

Two - just 2 - of the custom knife sellers actually spoke to me. They were the only two that looked at me! Most of them just had their knives laid out straight across the table, then sat behind the table, staring at the floor. Did you sell many?? My guess would be: No!

I realize that this was probably not the highest concentration of buyers that you could get. I have no doubt that it gets boring pitching your quality knives and then watching some moron buying a $8 sword from the import dealer across the aisle. But you can't catch fish without bait - and without casting the bait into the water!!

1. You need knives that are attractive. Fishing lures aren't painted bright colors to catch fish, but rather to catch buyers.
2. You need an attractive display. Even the junk import dealers have them mounted so they can be seen.
3. Look at the customers - in the eye! Talk to them. SMILE!
4. Whether they buy or not, be polite. They could return.
5. If someone rejects your knives - even rudely - remember that this person must be a jerk. If someone you respect gets on you, take it seriously. If someone you DON'T respect gets on you, take it as a compliment!!
6. PUT THE D****ed CELL PHONE AWAY! You wouldn't buy ANYTHING from someone who ignored you to talk on the phone, would you?
7. If possible, demonstrate why your knives are superior. I watched a young kid selling some quirky knife sharpener. He must have cut up 10 Sears catalogs during the day to show how sharp he could get knives. AND he managed to get paid $3 per knife to sharpen them for passers-by. (Come to think of it, ever consider making a couple bucks sharpening knives while you're sitting there doing nothing?) There was a LINE at his booth. (He told me his day job was in a feed store.)
8. Put up a sign. Have business cards. Look professional!

If you are unwilling to do at least 6 of the 8, just stay home.

End of my rant.

Old 01-24-2005, 08:04 AM
Skilled

It can be hard to keep yourself up at shows where sales are slow but being on your feet and smiling is critical to sales.

Don't get carried away with the displays however, too fancy a display can cause potential buyers to miss something, I had it happen a lot when I started out and used very decorative displays.

Demonstrations can work against you if you are working alone. If you only have one item to sell like sharpener it is not a problem but if you are at one end of the table demonstrating something this focuses the attention there and the rest of the table gets ignored or worse something gets stolen.

Keep in mind that shows are just that, an opportunity to show your product to as many people as possible and sell the idea of owning one of these knives. Business cards and flyers are necessary for people to be able to find you after the show and make their purchases.

Now a note to show visitors....in order for the knifemaker to meet and greet the public you should not take up all of his time chatting, neither should you take offense if the maker breaks off your conversation to say hello to newcomers from time to time. It is his job to greet as many people as possible who pass by the table.

Old 01-24-2005, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Over the years I have come to the conclusion that knife shows are not always about selling knives......... sometimes it's about selling yourself! If your not standing up, with your hand extended, and a smile or kind word on your lips, then your not doing a very good job of selling yourself.
Gun shows are their own unique environment. Genernally the customer base that attends "gun" shows are looking only for "bargins", while those attending true knife shows are there for the quality.
Gun type shows are where many knifemakers get started trying to sell their product. Most of them have no idea what they should be doing, or how they should be acting. They look around at everyone else, and figure they should be just like the rest.

It can be a tough "learn as you go" situation, and many don't make it to the second show. I think back to the first few times I attended gun shows...... I was green as a gourd. I was scared to talk to anyone, and was just hoping that someone would say something nice about my work. Thankfully I sought out more established makers, and learned from them, adding my own ideas along the way.

Some of the most important things I feel a maker MUST do at a show....

1. Stand up!
2. Smile
3. Speak to anyone who walks by your table
4. When someone stops to look, introduce yourself, and offer a hardy handshake
5. NEVER! NEVER! Dismiss or ignore anyone! Many years ago I watched a then, very famos maker ignore someone, who turned out to be a major collector and writer for a major knife publication. That knifemaker is no longer in business. (no I'm not going to say exactly who it was)
6. Dress the part! Look as professional as possible. I personally don't like to wear a tie, but you can bet when I show up at Reno later this week, I'll have a tie and jacket on!
7. And finally, be yourself! More people come to a show to meet "The Maker" than to buy. The impression you leave on people will tranfer into your knives. (good or bad)

When I walk through the gun shows, I always stop to look at the work of the "young" makers. After talking for a while, many will ask how they should be presenting themselves and their knives.......those are the ones who have the desire necessary to continue in knifemkaing. Those who sit there like a bump on a log, I simply leave alone.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 01-24-2005, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

All points well taken, George.

I have no problem with the seller greeting other folks. But I saw sellers who greeted nobody, and others who did nothing but chat on the phone. If they were giving away diamonds they wouldn't have had a customer. I think a lot of knifemakers - or any artisans - are introverts; They speak to the world through their work. Selling requires direct interface to the customer.

I don't know of many sellers who pay the money and commit the time for a show only so they can display their wares. If you want to show a profit, you gotta sell!

There are people at these events selling things that have no earthly value whatsoever! But they are pitching their products! And they go home with cash in their pockets. Here you have guys making a quality product (and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that), but can't be bothered to pitch it! They go home unhappy. (An old boss of mine used to say, "This would be a great business if it wasn't for those d***ed customers.")

When you are making a knife, you have to pay attention to what you are doing. When you are working with power tools, you have to pay attention to safety. When you are selling, you have to pay attention to your customers.

Old 01-24-2005, 09:27 AM
Master

You're right, I've noticed that myself from some makers when I go to knife shows. I also notice some people doing the opposite, virtual P.T Barnums chatting up everyone telling them about their knives or damascus or whatever. Maybe the people who aren't people persons should get a dealer to sell their stuff for them. They'd get alot more sold, they'd be happier being out making knives instead of trying to sell them, and the customers would be happy getting good knives instead of getting ignored.

Old 01-24-2005, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Excellent input, George, Ed, and AwP!

Old 01-24-2005, 10:57 AM
Skilled

Last June at the Blade Show in Atlanta, I noticed how many tables were "un-manned". Many just had business cards laying out. This was on a Saturday morning, and the place was packed.

Later, I noticed many of the makers were at other maker's tables just chatting.

On the other hand, many makers extended a handshake and acted like they had known me all my life. They were eager to tell me all about their products. Those guys made an impression.

One older gentleman, whom I won't name, sold two knives while we were discussing grinding techniques.

There is more to selling your knives than just making a pretty blade...........

Robert

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knife making, knives