MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 08-20-2004, 04:11 PM
Enthusiast

What tap wrench do you use????

OK what tap wrench do i need to be using for hand tapping all my 2-56 threaded holes?? the T tap wrench i'm currently using must be to big and i discovered holds tap out of round, I wish i had a digital camera cause i'd show a pic of the junk. Pictures and input welcomed. I already know to flood the tap with cutting fluild, and am doing that.
I'm using 2 flute spiral taps already.
going really slow and backing up often
I'm supporting the t wrench in my drill press and just turning the fixture.
I'm using one number smaller drill bit the only thing against me for a bit more thread in the hole.

any advice is falling on open ears. Thanks

Last edited by nate d.; 08-20-2004 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Tapping thos little holes

Nate,

A cheap and easy method of tapping is to go to WalMart and purchase a Skil-Twist battery powered screw driver. Then go to the local hardware store and purchase a 1/4" chuck to fit it. Of course the fastest and easiest way to tap folder parts is to purchase a tapping head for the drill press (but these are $250 from Enco) (I have one of these and just love it!) With the tapping head you can actually tap the holes in less time than it takes to drill them.

You mentioned your using a drill size SMALLER than recommended. Honestly, I would be going one, or even two drill size larger (in titanium) than recommended. Trust me, with 2-56, 1-72, and 4-40 screws you will twist the screw off beforeyou strip threads in the part. This will also keep you from breaking a lot of taps.

The tap sizes and drill bits I use are as follows:

1-72............ #53 drill in steel, #51 in Titanium
2-56............ # 50 in steel, #48 in Titanium
4-40............ #43 in steel, #41 in Titanium

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 08-20-2004, 06:31 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I agree with Ed that in titanium you should go at least one size larger on the drill, especially if you use any type of powered tapping mechanism.

I use a hand tapper that I built myself, very cheap any easy.

The tap part is a long handled t-tapper from MSC, the rest is just scrap aluminum and some drill rod. If you are interested in building one you can get the details in my shop tour at www.rayrogers.com/handtap.htm

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-20-2004, 11:29 PM
Master

If you check a tool catalogue or two you will find that there are tap holding spindles that you place in your drill press for alignment and turn by hand. They work super and would probably cost you $10 to $20. Pretty hard to break taps using these unless you get real careless. I use mine mostly on 0X80s Frank

Old 08-20-2004, 11:44 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to metalking00
I just put the tap in the chuck of the drill press and turn it by hand, then back it off and repeat.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:59 AM
Hall of Famer

You should be using spiral point taps. They push the chips ahead of the tap and are stronger and less apt to break. Also, turn the tap holder, not the part.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:13 PM
Skilled

I also just put the tap in my drillpress. I take the belt off the pully and turn it from there. I havent broke any taps since, even 0-80's

Jeremy

Old 08-21-2004, 04:57 PM
Enthusiast

I want to thank everyone for there input. I appreciate it and many thanks. I'm gonna try the chucking the tap up in the drill press and taking the belt off of the pulley. I'm also gonna quit goin' with smaller size pilot holes after reading the mighty helpful advice from Ed.

Frank, Say i looked in our local machine supply catalogs and only came up with a gizzy made in India that turned out to be $#%!@#%#$%. I took it back cause my grandmother makes better machinery than that thing!!!! I did a search on google for machine tap guide that didn't work. I'll try doing another search spindle tap holder and see what that brings up. If you come across one let me know who and what they call it and i'll give them a ring and go from there.

thank you all a bunch i appreciate it.
nate d. 8o 8o
Old 08-21-2004, 06:25 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

It's called a piloted spindle tap and MSC has them in two flavors, both are USA made. One is part# 05041850 for $10.95 and the other is part# 05041801 for $39.72 Hard to tell what the big price difference is from the pictures. If you don't have an MSC Big Book you should order one, they have just about everything .......

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-23-2004, 02:39 PM
Enthusiast

Talking

thanks Ray for the Heads up and naming this thing. I'm now up to two things on my MSC list Nylatron sheet and piloted spindle tapper. look out now i'm ready to tap with the big boys and not break so many taps. Yippeee
Old 08-24-2004, 12:18 AM
Master

The very best taps I have used so far are ones labeled R&N They cost the same as others but seem to be less brittle and last many times longer than others. I have over 250 taped holes on one tap. Frank

Old 09-13-2004, 08:31 AM
Steel Addict

Frank, do you buy the R&N taps from MSC?.
Thanks, Roland