MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 01-31-2007, 12:55 PM
Steel Addict

Titan Kerambit

Here's a new one, one of my largest Kerambits yet.

This one has a .250" thick 440C blade, hollow ground all around (including the inside curve!) and mirror finished. It sports my "vampire" rip teeth serrations, and a rear polished finger ring with a "persuader" point where the thumb rests. The full filework is graduated down the fully tapered tang, and even hand-engraved. The bolsters are hand-engraved 304 high chromium, high nickel austentitic stainless steel (eek!) for extreme wear resistance and a gorgeous finish. The dovetailed bolsters frame a handle of wild Crazy Lace Agate Gemstone, very hard and tough, with a bright polish. I inlaid the complicated sheath with Burgundy Ostrich Leg skin inlays and hand-tooled the accents, hand-stitched it with polyester sinew, lacquered and sealed. I tried to design the piece so that the sheath would display the handle material and bolster engraving.

What a great project, and lots of fun. I've got the greatest clients in the world and couldn't do this without their support!

Full time professional custom knifmaker for Knife Users, Military, Professionals, Collectors, and Museums

I love this job!

Old 01-31-2007, 01:37 PM
Skilled

Nice. Quite different for a Kerambit. How hard was that inside curve to grind? What size wheel did you use. One inch?

Jeremy

Old 01-31-2007, 02:21 PM
Living Legend

Send a message via ICQ to BrB Send a message via MSN to BrB
Really sick man!

I see this knife and I can't help it but relate the design to those cars in the Overhauling show from the Discovery Channel. I don't even know why one thing brings me the other, but the results in both cases are off the scale.

Congratulations!

-------------------------------------------
Pesquise posts antigos antes de perguntar:
Use CKD Search
? mais r?pido e f?cil!
Old 01-31-2007, 02:49 PM

That's a seriously sweet knife Jay! I bet making a sheath for a reverse grip knife with that type of blade angle is a bear.

Well done!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 01-31-2007, 06:16 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks guys, for all your supportive comments!

I forgot to put the dimensions on the original post. This demon is 11.5" overall, with a 7.5" blade. It is a hefty hunk of tool steel, weighing in at 13.5 oz. !

I used a 3" contact wheel for the grinds, Jeremy. Grinding an inside radius in a hollow offhand is not for the faint of heart. Not only is the difficulty factor about a 9, one slip and it's off with a finger!

Andrew, the sheath was a real challenge too. Leather and motion do not prefer the curve, and with all those edges, just drawing this monster is a dangerous motion. The rip teeth are nasty sharp, and the edges super thin and razor keen. Once it's in the sheath, it's very safe, though. Out of the sheath, my client knows how to handle it well, or he bleeds...

Thanks,
Jay

Full time professional custom knifmaker for Knife Users, Military, Professionals, Collectors, and Museums

I love this job!

Old 02-01-2007, 12:33 AM
Steel Addict

i looked earlier today and decided to post later so i could think of the words....but WOW is all i have. every single aspect is just fantastic.
can i ask about the filework?
the vine pattern(?) how did you file the top? did you use files or was it done with some kind of engraving tools?
Old 02-01-2007, 09:04 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek parker
i looked earlier today and decided to post later so i could think of the words....but WOW is all i have. every single aspect is just fantastic.
can i ask about the filework?
the vine pattern(?) how did you file the top? did you use files or was it done with some kind of engraving tools?

Thanks Derek.
The filework/edgework is also hand-engraved.

Jay

I love this job!

Old 02-01-2007, 10:47 AM
Steel Addict

That is one fabulous knife.

Simply amazing. Everything seems to be perfectly executed from the creativity, hollow grinds, filework, engraving, tapered tang, etc.

Thanks for posting this. It certainly gives me a high benchmark of skill to aspire to, in my beginning stages of knifemaking.

Mike L.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Hall of Famer

Old 02-03-2007, 08:06 AM

Another reason!

Hey Jay,

Absolutely gorgeous knife! I've seen this style on your website, and I was unsure if I liked it or not. Now, I have no doubt. That knife is the epidemy of the knifemakers art; the form, the fit, the function coupled with the artistic touches that you have applied show me what is capable from a master's hands. As has been related by others before me, I run out of adjectives long before I can accurately describe how I feel about that knife. Outstanding!

Tom Driscoll
Old 02-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Steel Addict

Jay,
I must admit that I?m not a big fan of Kerambits but this knife is outstanding.
The file work with the added engraving is the touch that put this knife over the top.

Thanks for sharing.
Joe

Tags
blade, knife