MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-05-2016, 09:42 AM
Enthusiast

Forge size needed for chef knife heat treat

Hi guy's,

As I am planning on producing some carbon type blades in the near future I like to ask a question about forge size before I start building a simple gas forge. Seems like a nice little project to me.

Is it required to heat the whole blade from tang to tip before quenching? I often watched hidden tang knifes quenched without the tang being fully submerged. How about full tang blades?

I like to be able to heat treat chefs knifes. Both full or hidden tang. The blades will often be 8.5 inch/21 cm Total lenth of the knife will often be 13i nch/33 cm.

I like to build a forge with only one gasburner. The inside diameter about 6 inch x 8 inch. Is this a realistic size to heat the blade size I mentioned?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks!
Shiny

Tags
advice, art, blade, blades, build, building, carbon, chef knife, fire, fixed blade, forge, forge size, full tang, heat, heat treat, hidden, hidden tang, knife, knives, project, quenched, sand, simple, tang