MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:07 PM
Enthusiast

Pair of Skinners

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a pair of skinners I finished up, one is already posted but I put them up together as a comparison. Both a little over 8" and nearly 2" wide, though the one with the bone handle is scaled down a bit to accommodate the smaller scales I had to work with. The heat treat turned out great and the 1095 hardened up like it should. Comments welcome.

God Bless,

Steve
Old 08-27-2013, 06:50 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

What, no sheaths? A beautiful knife deserves a nice sheath ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-27-2013, 07:48 PM

very nice work
Old 08-27-2013, 08:03 PM
Steel Addict

Great knives!

Old 08-28-2013, 09:40 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmountain View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a pair of skinners I finished up, one is already posted but I put them up together as a comparison. Both a little over 8" and nearly 2" wide, though the one with the bone handle is scaled down a bit to accommodate the smaller scales I had to work with. The heat treat turned out great and the 1095 hardened up like it should. Comments welcome.

God Bless,

Steve
OK, I got to ask what the heck kind of bone is that or what kind of treatment did you do on it to get the multiple colors? I really like that handle on that one!

If I might make a suggestion try a slightly scaled down version on your next skinner. I used to run a trap line a kid and skinning out my own deer. I prefer a little less bulk and weight to handle when skinning! Not meant as a criticism, just a thought! Also if you are going to do a choil you don't need the drop at the riccaso, it only gets in the way when you need to throw a quick edge on the blade when skinning! IMHO

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft

Last edited by C Craft; 08-28-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:52 AM
Skilled

Wow! Beautiful!

I too want to know more about that bone and it's treatment.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Enthusiast

The bone is dyed camel bone, I got it from another maker that produces piles of the stuff. Not cheap but the look is worth it. I have another skinner in the works scaled down even more from the last. Making this out of 01 and will be a little less than 1.5" wide. I don't quite get what you mean about the choil, it for looks and then the drop in the ricasso is for a guard. I work with my hands in a delicate nature every day and simply wouldn't use a knife without a guard on a regular basis. It would get in the way to sharpen but only the very bottom edge. And I don't take that as a criticism at all, I appreciate the imput. I liked the design so much because of those features.

God Bless,
Old 08-28-2013, 04:46 PM
Master

Mitch , very nice work

Old 08-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmountain View Post
The bone is dyed camel bone, I got it from another maker that produces piles of the stuff. Not cheap but the look is worth it. I have another skinner in the works scaled down even more from the last. Making this out of 01 and will be a little less than 1.5" wide. I don't quite get what you mean about the choil, it for looks and then the drop in the ricasso is for a guard. I work with my hands in a delicate nature every day and simply wouldn't use a knife without a guard on a regular basis. It would get in the way to sharpen but only the very bottom edge. And I don't take that as a criticism at all, I appreciate the imput. I liked the design so much because of those features.

God Bless,
What I was talking about is this area!

Where I have drawn the yellow arrow. That area of the ricasso sticks below the blade. You can leave it flat but it really doesn't need to stick below the blade edge.

Basically the flat area is usually un-sharpened and if it protrudes below the blade edge most makers will not use a choil on the same blade. In fact there is no real need for it to protrude below the blade. The area acts as an un-sharpened area to protect the user! IMO

Any way that is what I was talking about. That small flat area, when a choil is used it doesn't need to protrude as the choil and the flat serve the same purpose in my mind!

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft

Last edited by C Craft; 08-28-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:52 PM
Steel Addict

The knives look good. I agree that with such a deep choil the finger guards are unnecessary. Grinding them flush would flow better with the lines of the design and make the knives better for slicing on a board. I actually prefer my ricasso to be ground a bit higher than the edge.

Last edited by BigCountry86; 08-28-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:07 PM
Master

that's the nice thing about hand made, the sky's the limit, make'em different, make whatever you want, there different , I like em

Old 08-28-2013, 10:15 PM
Skilled

Beautiful Knives

Tags
1095, arrow, blade, bone, design, edge, grinding, guard, guards, hand, handle, heat, heat treat, knife, knives, made, make, making, scales, sheaths, skinner, skinning, trap, what kind