MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 05-27-2002, 11:11 AM
Steve Vanderkolff

Where to post photos ?

I went and pickd up the toshiba digital camera and have taken a few shots with it. Man is it lovely. Now I need some advice on how to/where to post my pictures. Cash is as always a major consideration. Are there any free posting web sites out there? I would love to get your opinions on both the pics and the knives.
Thanks
Steve

Old 05-27-2002, 02:46 PM
Coop747

Ok, here's what I've seen....

There are a BUNCH of free sites out there. Most of them will allow you any number of images to host, but will only allow you to LINK to them, and not post them in your post. But, there are exceptions.

I think Murray White just found success with 'Yahoo Photo's' being able to link and post. But that was AFTER he created a bunch of albums, etc on PictureTrail and then they, too decided not to allow direct linking. Other sites have 'rashed and burned'this way a LOT lately.

It all boils down to this: A FREE site wants you to be a captive audience to their banner ads and other promo's that are ON THE PAGE of the pics. If we just link to the pics without the ads, they lose viewers. Viewers look at advertisers (which may also be themselves with special offers) who pay for their site. No viewers=no revenue. So one by one the photohosting sites are shutting their doors on picture posting outside. Linking is allowed, but for convenience, I like a pic in the post best.

Me? I stepped up and paid $24 per year for a site that doesn't need advertisers. So far it's growth has been phenominal, and it looks as I'll have this site available for a long time. (Yup, I lost on PhotoPoint, too, but that's the exception). You can check out www.fototime.com for more of the features.

Go into the Computer Center forum for a sticky post on a 'how to'. I covered some of what I mentioned here. My guess, is *soon* we'll be working with Alex on a NEW CKD forum and he will provide hosting opportunity. And probably for a fee.....

Hope this helps

Coop
Old 05-27-2002, 05:17 PM
Sylvester

I use Lycos-- Free
Old 05-27-2002, 06:57 PM
SIGGI

I use the Fototime site also. Not too expensive and never haad a problem!

Bob Sigmon
Old 05-30-2002, 09:04 AM
jar

I've been very happy with fototime.

Tags
knives