MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-02-2002, 11:46 AM
Steve Vanderkolff

Heat treat question

I am in the process of making a short sword. Unfortunately the blade of the sword is 16 inches long with a 4 inch tang for a total length of 20 inches and my kiln has an interior length of 13 inches. What I was thinking of doing was making a small slot in the end of the kiln and sliding the blade into the kiln as far as it will go, bring the kiln up to heat and hold for an hour and then turning the blade around and let it heat for another hour. Is this likely to work or will I simply ruin the blade. I have never sent a knife out to be heat treated so do not have any idea how or where. By the way the steel is 440C and will be wraped in stainless foil and I live in Kitchener Ontario Canada so sending it to one of the US based heat treaters is a very expensive proposition.
Thanks for all the help.
Steve

Old 01-02-2002, 12:52 PM
Bob Warner

You would not get what you want by doing it that way. I have never heat treated stainless but I know if you harden one end and then heat the other end, the second heat will mess up the first end (not sure whiich end is up anymore). You could cut a hole in your kiln, and move the blade through the kiln constantly but that may not be the best thing either.

Your best bet is to look up heat treaters in the phone book or on the web. I am sure there are places up there that heat treat lug nuts for cars and other metal parts. When I started out I make knives out of 440C and took them to a place that heat treats nuts and bolts and lug nuts and other items like that. I told them I wanted a RC hardness of 58-59. They were done in 24 hours and the blade was 58 RC, they even tested it for me. They did it in a sealed oven so no scale, just a light power look to the blades, hand sand, buff and your done. Although they primarilary worked on small parts their oven would hold six foot pieces, so a sword would not be a problem.

Maybe some of the other Canadians can help you out. I just wanted to keep you from trying it as you suggested to help you avoid making a mistake.

Tags
blade, knife, knives