MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Steel Addict

A drill press question

I've been getting stuff together to try making some folders and came into some Christmas money recently . One thing I'm a bit concerned about with my current drill press is the lack of precision-it's not 90 degrees to the table. I remembered Steve's set up I saw at his hammer in-a few bench top drill presses with the tables set and locked down. So, I started thinking a decent bench top model for use with more of the precision holes would be good and I could use my old crusty floor model for other stuff.

I started looking around and there are a lot of different models and types, including size, speeds, etc. One thing very important to me is a chuck that will take the very small folder size drill bits. I saw one that only went down to 1/16". So, what would you all suggest? I'm trying not to break the bank and a good used one may be what I start out looking for, but am not looking to get a piece of junk, either. Thanks for any advice.

Jeremy
Old 12-28-2013, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I think you're on the right track with a good benchtop model. Generally speaking, you're likely going to have to look for one that you can "square up" the table up.....and then....get on ebay or someplace like Shars tool or enco, and find a good keyless chuck. That way you get the best of both aspects without breaking the bank.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 12-29-2013, 12:00 AM
Steel Addict

Ahhhh, replacement chuck. Hadn't thought about that-never removed one before. As for squaring a table up... The one I have now has a table that pivots left/right as you're looking at it. But that's not the axis out of alignment-it's the front edge of the table dipping down. Or I guess the chuck/spindle canted in towards the stand? I still want a dedicated bench top one, but how are those sort of inaccuracies fixed?

Was dreaming and started looking up some old Burgmasters....being in your shop ruined me, Ed . Thanks for your help.

Jeremy
Old 12-29-2013, 12:37 AM
Master

Hey Jeremy, you can square up a problem table by making an adjustable table that sits on the original. It's just a true steel plate tapped for four bolts that you can screw in and out to adjust for level. Then just figure out whatever convenient way you can to lock it down. Don Robinson visits here now and then, I bet if you search his posts it'll be easy to find his tutorial about squaring up a drill press.

I wouldn't worry too much about different makes and models, all the bargain ones start looking real similar, lots of rebranded imports. Maybe, I'd look at 12" models, they seem to be a bit beefier than the 8" or 10" ones. The chuck as is though would probably the type that can only close down to that 1/16" bit that you where mentioning.

If you can be patient, I bet two would fit in your budget off craigs list or weekend garage sales. Look as best you can for worn spindles, bearings, play/slop. I just figured out, take a peek at the pinned topics at the top of the folder forum for Don R's tutorials.

Can't have enough drill presses, Craig
Old 12-29-2013, 11:57 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks so much for the suggestions, Craig. I'm going to be looking around at the used ones-I appreciate the thought on the different sizes. I'll definitely look up those tutorials. I'd found some of the stuff through Google about how to check for square. Great idea on making that plate to level out the work. Between something like that and a keyless chuck, I might just be able to come up with something decent. I started looking up those keyless chucks and they sure vary in price significantly. Will have to do some more homework.

Hope you had a great Christmas, Craig. Still waiting to have the right knife to put that curly Koa on. If the wife and I ever make it out your direction, we'll have to look you up and take you out to dinner. Have a great new year.

Jeremy
Old 12-29-2013, 03:18 PM
Master

How about this Jeremy. We'll take you out to dinner, and you talk your wife into adding that savings to your tool budget. I'm sure we'll catch up with you here or there.

Craig
Old 12-29-2013, 04:27 PM
Steel Addict

Hahahahahahahahahaha! Deal, Craig . My wife even got a kick out if that.

Jeremy
Old 01-09-2014, 09:28 PM
Skilled

Cool drill press

I got a good little (imported) drill press from my local Sears, ($100.00) I just wanted a small one to drill pin holes 0 to 1/4" max and this one works great, the table does not bend down under pressure, but I also think bit sharpness has a LOT to do with that! All my tangs turn out too hard to drill with HSS bits so I had to change to solid carbide bits purchased through ENCO. They will do several hundred holes before they snap or disintegrate, and the drill goes way up in RPM for those tiny holes. I'd also try "Grizzly" for better than average quality import equipment. Jon

Old 01-09-2014, 10:27 PM

Hi Jeremy,

Check this out on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1TnifBZT-c

I think you may find it helpful; it's from a machining series hosted by a former shop teacher who goes by the moniker of Tubal Cain. The particular video I am directing you to is about tramming a drill press table.

Cheers,

Chad
Old 01-10-2014, 09:46 AM

Jeremy,

I forgot to mention these guys: http://www.edgetechnologyproducts.co...m-system1.html

You can sweep your table with a dial indicator and get the same result, but a tramming tool is nice to have. I bought one from this company last year and I am pretty happy with it so far.

Chad
Old 01-11-2014, 09:45 AM
Steel Addict

Wow, thanks for that info. I'd seen a dial indicator being used, but that tool sure is cool to get the tables just perfect. Great video, too. I'll probably look up more of his stuff.

I'm still waiting to hear back from a friend on an "industrial drill press". We were chatting and I found out his dad got this unknown drill press from a deceased friend. From what my friend described, it's a bench model that is currently sitting on the floor of his dad's garage and very heavy. I'm thinking if I'm amazingly lucky, it will be a mill/drill and he'll sell it to me to get it out of the way . If not, I'm starting to lean towards a 12" master force from Menard's. It appears to be the exact same thing as the Jet (mechanical variable speed along with actual rpm readout). Still looking to find something decent and hopefully won't let the money in my pocket burn a hole too soon... Thanks again for all the advice.

Jeremy
Old 01-20-2014, 08:01 PM
Steel Addict

Well, the mill/drill fell through, so here's my back up:

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...47-c-10086.htm

It should be here Thursday-appears to be a clone of the Jet model. Really liking the mechanical variable speed on this one. Only a 1/3 hp motor, but I'm planning on pretty much small holes/precision drilling with this one, so it should be fine. Looking forward to getting it set up and squared up and locking it all down. Thanks again to everyone who gave advice.

Jeremy
Old 01-20-2014, 08:24 PM

Good luck with the new drill press Jeremy. And just a thought, you might want to consider getting some cobalt drill bits in the sizes that you will commonly be drilling.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:57 PM
Steel Addict

Yup-already have several bits and reamers of the appropriate quality, thanks to others' previous suggestions. Thanks for the advice, though-it's always good to drill harder stuff with the right bit...gets really irritating when they break off or just won't go through. Then you're just stuck .

Jeremy

Tags
advice, art, bee, blade, chris, christmas, drill, easy, edge, fixed, folder, hammer, help., how to, knife, knives, lock, make, making, press, problem, sharp, steel, tutorial