MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Skilled

air filter

I'm looking to add one of those hanging air purifiers to my shop. I was just wondering if any one here had any experience with any of these. I did do a search here but still not sure what I want to do. I was considering Grizzly model # G5955 or G0572. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Links to both units below. Thanks.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g5955

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0572

http://www.kirbysknives.com/index.php
Old 05-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Hall of Famer

I've had one of those hanging in my shop over 10 years. It's worthless for metal dust because the dust falls, never rises.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:25 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Those will help clean the air but they won't keep you from breathing crap and they won't help keep your shop clean so it depends on what your goal is. If you understand what those do and that's what you want then those are good units.

If what you really want is to cllect the heavy dust and some of the hazardous fumes to keep your shop cleaner and to breathe less crap, look at G1029Z. I've been using the earlier version of that one for 7 years.

Having any of these units does not mean you don't have to wear a respirator. Always wear a respirator when creating any kind of dust or fumes ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-11-2007, 08:03 AM
Master

Good advise from Don and Ray. I have a bigger ceiling-hung unit that is very good at removing extremely fine dust from general circulation. It'll even filter out pipe smoke!

The downside is that the really fine stuff that normally hangs in the air for hours is only part of the problem in a grinding shop. I have a three-stage system for grinding: A water bucket under the belt to catch the sparks and heavy particles, a PAPR respirator system (the now discontinued Racal/3M power visor) to get the medium-heavy stuff before I breathe it while also offering the protection of a full-face shield, and the ambient filter to get the really fine stuff.

It would be nice to have a spot dust collector like those used on woodworking tools on the grinder, but I dislike fires and dust explosions. I know folks who have made powered downdraft grinding tables with filters to catch the sparks, but they only grind metal on 'em. Any time you mix the grinding dust from metal, wood, bone, and whatever else you see fit to stick on the grinder, hazards multiply.

You DO know not to grind aluminum and steel without cleaning up the dustpile between each metal, and why, don't you?
Old 05-11-2007, 10:10 AM
Skilled

Thanks guys that helps a lot! I mainly want it to help with the lingering smell of ivory, pearl, stag ect... Resporator is deffinitly the best thing for the lungs.

Alan, to be honest I didnt know about the hazards of steel and aluminum dust mixing. I did a search and found this artical. It kind of sent a chile down my spine. Thanks for asking that!

http://www.hanford.gov/rl/?page=542&parent=506

Old 05-11-2007, 10:50 AM

WOW
I had no idea on the aluminum and steel grinding were dangerous. I make my knife patterns out of aluminum and often switch immidiately to steel. Definetely will need to do some extensiv cleaning after the aluminum.
Thanks a bunch.
Steve

Old 05-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

The danger is minimal as long as you don't let the powders build up. A dust collection system can do that, or you can simply use a shop vac regularly. Sparks are not so much of a problem on a dust collection system if you use a particle collector like Grzzly's Cyclone system. All that is , is a metal trash can placed in series with the collector so that everything must pass through the trash can before reaching the collection bag. The heavy particles don't make it. With a little care the mixing of metals shouldn't be too much problem.

An occasional spark usually can't do much damage. The trouble comes when many hot sparks are allowed to pile up unchecked. I once had a problem similar to Alan's when I was grinding a titanium handle with Carbon Fiber scales. Ti powder plus carbon built up a pretty good pile. No problem while the 60 grit belt was fresh and sharp but when it got dull it started to throw sparks. Unlike the thermite mix this mix didn't burn away instantly, it burnt more like magnesium - small, white hot, and for a long time.

Since then, when grinding anything that sparks, I use a tray instead of the dust collector and I vacuum the tray often so that if there is a fire it's a very small one and it's where I can see it....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-11-2007, 12:15 PM
Master

The thermit reaction is one of those things that under normal circumstances will never happen to most people, even those who never clean up the iron oxide/aluminum mix, just because the proportions may not be just right to start the reaction. BUT: It's one of those things you really don't want to accidentally get correct.

If I did only wood, or only steel, a nice two-stage dust collector would be fine with me. But, I'm just lazy enough not to clean it every time I switch materials. Any kind of fine dust plus a single spark can also ruin your day.

I'll stick with the system I have until they make explosion-proof aerosolized dusts.

I will say that if I used a buffer I'd have a good vent system built into the bench. Not much chance of blowing up the garage with a buffer.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRBY
Thanks guys that helps a lot! I mainly want it to help with the lingering smell of ivory, pearl, stag ect... Resporator is deffinitly the best thing for the lungs.

I forgot to address the smell issue... An overhead fine-dust filter will only help a little bit with the glorious stench of overheated stag or horn. It'd be good for the truly dangerous particles from pearl as long as you leave it running for an hour or three after grinding the stuff, and don't take off the respirator until you're sure the air is clear. My overhead filter changes the shop air 3 to 6 times per hour depending on speed. Well, it SAYS it does, but I know that not every single bit of air is goin' through the filter. It does help with the fine dust all over everything, though. Mine's the one from Woodcraft that isn't a Delta or a Jet.

For odors, an activated carbon filter is about all that'll de-stink the air.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:54 PM
Skilled

Thanks again for all the help guys. I guess there is no perfect way for a knife maker to collect dust. I think with a combination of a 2 stage dust collector, overhead air filter, respirator and a fan in the window I should be able to keep the worst of it to a minimum. Ill be sure to be conscious of what I'm grinding and when to keep the risks low.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Skilled

Build it!

I built mine. Plywood box. Scavenged microwave blower motor, permanently on high, and three filters. One of the air conditioning ones, then 2 of the good house filters in line. I put it right by whatever is getting ground or in the general vicinity. Plus I put one of those attic powered vent fans in the shop. Open the window turn it on and a good breeze comes in. Also does a fine job of pulling the heat from the forge right on out. But there is not a substitute for a good respirator. Just blow your nose after not using one and you can get a good idea of what's getting in there Dan

http://www.usualsuspect.net/commerce/aff.php?aff=2405
A strong man disciplines his desires, restrains his reactions and keeps his commitments.

Tags
forge, knife