MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 12-01-2006, 04:39 AM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to JeridJohnson
Pack knife

I just delivered this one today.. the buyer requested a lightweight knife that would mount to his backpack shoulder strap.. Below is what I came up with.. Lemme know what you think.

O-1 Tool Steel
3.5" blade 4" handle
Handle wraped in paracord
Molded kydex sheath

Old 12-01-2006, 07:42 AM
Master

Nice looking knife! Very cool how you can see the cordwrap through the kydex! Do you have a pic of the back of the sheath? I'd love to make one of these to take out in the woods with me. Also, is the handle blued?
-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 12-01-2006, 08:46 AM
Skilled

Would it be better for the sheath to be rotated 180 degrees in the horizon axis to reduce the likelihood of cutting the shoulderstrap on a quick or careless withdrawal ? Very nice knife & sheath !

Joe
Old 12-01-2006, 11:53 AM
Skilled

Dave,
I didnt get a chance to get a pic of the back of it.. however, it is very easially explained... I basically took a aluminum bar the same width as the strap and about half the thickness.. I layed the hot kydex over it and molded it around the bar.. this basically gave me a sort of belt loop when the piece was fastened to the back of the sheath body. when the belt loop is screwed down it compresses the should strap padding quite a bit which allows for a very secure mount.

Joe,
I think the risk of cutting the strap is minimal.. the user should be more concerned with cutting his left arm on the draw.. The sheath rides just about at his arm pit level and the strap below the sheath opening curves under the arm pit when worn.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Master

Thanks Jerid. That fastening system sounds pretty simple to make and very effective. I used to carry a knife in a similar fashion on my gear when I was in the Army. It worked great especially when I was crammed in a Humvee and couldn't really get to my waist line or pockets. As simple as it is I will say your fastening is much more complex than the 100mph tape (Army version of duct tape) fastening system I used. Keep up the great work.
-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 12-04-2006, 08:08 AM

nice work
Old 12-04-2006, 10:10 AM
Skilled

The more I look at this knife the more I like it. The knotwork bolster is superb. What did you do to get the 'well used' look on the olive cord?

"Live so that your friends can defend you but never have to" - Arnold H. Glascow
Old 12-15-2006, 08:49 PM
Skilled

Sorry for the delayed reply Jayson... All the cordwork has had a very thin "super glue" applied to it to harden it up.

Tags
blade, knife