MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 02-23-2002, 02:16 PM
Lamnia Artifex

Foreign Knife Ideas (With Pic)

Today I visited a small estate sale. Hoping to pick up something interesting. What I found went a little beyond that. It brought me out of my usual make knives, get money, collect knives, be rich mentality. This all happened when I really stopped and admired a beautiful Persian 3-fingered dagger. If you are not familiar with the concept,or the name, I will try to post a photo of it shortly. It has no cutting edge, and was designed to pierce chainmail. The tip is wider than the rest of the blade, and makes a hole where two attached blades (also unsharpened) enter, and wreak havoc on the enemy. The idea itself is almost foreign, a knife without a blade?? But its threat to any armored infantry man was very real. Just got me thinknig about new knife ideas, and getting away from the silliness of Hibben's "masterpieces" and stuff like that. I like knives with a purpose, and a little bit different. Well, I think I made my bizarre rant long enough, have fun with my idea though. I think I will just post a picture of another knife very similar, as the one at the estate sale is probably gone.
Old 02-23-2002, 02:28 PM
Lamnia Artifex

Re: Foreign Knife Ideas

Here are a few pictures of a 5 fingered dagger from Persia or India, it is old. The 3 blades are welded together at the base, or the metal was split, I do not know. However, I think the welding would be easier. Like I said it is wicked, and made me think.
www.geocities.com/jaxenro/Msc/Msc.html

Old 02-23-2002, 03:23 PM
MaxTheKnife

Put in the link and any one of us can help you Lamnia. I think Dana has flown the coop.
Old 02-24-2002, 07:57 AM
Dana Acker

Naw, I haven't flown anywhere. I've either been out in the shop or taking care of other business. Shipped out my big war club to a fellow yesterday--that was fun to box up--let me tell you, then I had two knife blades to finish and mount in their antler handles, then get another one forged. Busy days. Why I'm not a betting man, but I'd pretty much bet that when Max's hand gets back in shape and he can get back out in the shop like old times, that we'll think he's fallen off the planet. He'll be worse than a horse penned up in the stable all winter getting out for the first time in spring.

Old 02-24-2002, 09:20 AM
MaxTheKnife

Awww, I was talking about your trip to Europe Dana. Aren't you supposed to leave pretty soon? Oh Geez, nevermind. I'm a month ahead of myself. He he. Don't mind me, I have a mineral deficiency from a lack of forging. I have a date with my forge today though. I have to forge up a fleshing knife and try out my new treadle hammer dies. Finally got them welded up. Now for the trial run. They'll either work great or make a terrible mess. Heh. I'm no machinist.
Old 02-25-2002, 02:12 PM
Dana Acker

Treadle hammer, wow, I forgot you had one--Don't any of y'all get in a foot race with Max, pretty soon he's gonna have the strongest legs on the forum. Hey Max, be sure to alternate legs when using that thing, or else one's going to be a lot bigger than the other, and we'll have to change your forum "handle" to "Hopalong."

P.S. My trip to Europe is March 22--Mar 31.
Old 02-25-2002, 02:58 PM
Dana Acker

Got a jpeg file in the e-mail-will try to get it posted up here soon--maybe man~ana.
Old 02-28-2002, 10:32 AM
Dana Acker

Here's the picture Lamnia sent me. Sorry it took so long to post it. Any ideas on this one?

Old 02-28-2002, 12:15 PM
JossDelage

Can you carry that on board planes?

;-)

JD
Old 02-28-2002, 04:01 PM
Dana Acker

I haven't figured out how one would hold such instruments with hurting themselves. But they are interesting. I'd like to see the sheaths they went in.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:55 PM
ghostdog

asian knives

You know the old saying, "nothing new under the sun". Man it can sure be seen in old knives. You know where the fantasy desigber guys are gettibg their ideas.
Take a look at this site:
www.oriental-arms.co.il/OA/main.html

ghostdog
Old 03-01-2002, 07:56 AM
Sweany

Re: asian knives

0] Aliens have been here, one of em dropped his knife 0]
Old 03-01-2002, 12:34 PM
mongoismyname

Thats the first thing that went through my mind Dana,
how would you hold one LOL..
Old 03-01-2002, 01:10 PM
Roger Gregory

How would you hold one?

Carefully ...... :

Roger
Old 03-01-2002, 04:51 PM
lamnia artifex

crazy knife

As a friend of my fathers' suggested it might be a sadist, or ritualistic blade. Made for the purpose of harming the wielder. Seems bizarre that some Persian would tie religion to what some of the stranger people in this world do for fun. Heh, what can you say? Us humans are weird. And I definitely prefer the alien knife idea over the sadist.

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knives