MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:01 PM
Steel Addict

Handle finish...

Well guys,
I'm taking my time on my first knife. I've tried to plan ahead, then when I'm done with a step I see plenty of things to do different the next time. I got quite a few pointers from my earlier thread and have tried to listen to them.

Here's where I'm at: The knife is together and the handle is rough shaped with a belt sander. I used stainless for the guard and buttcap, the handle is half stacked leather and half Amboyna burl (I really like the way it looks). I plan on hand sanding the rest of the way with a block where I can then finish up with buffing (probably by hand as well).

Do I need to take it to around 400grit then polish with a compound? Finer than 400? What is a common compound and material to buff by hand?

**Edit: I'm mainly wanting a way to seal the leather but still retain it's feel. I saw a post a couple of days ago related to this, but can' recall what was said and I can't get any luck out of the search button...there's got to be a way to search easily I just need to find it. I'm comparing to google where you can capture 2 or more different words, not just single instances of one word.**

I'll possibly post a picture as it is now, will definitely post when I'm done to show you how much room for improvement there is

Many thanks,
AlanR

Last edited by AlanR; 08-14-2006 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:34 PM
Skilled

I was lucky enough to make it in to a knife kit store and they recomended a rouge compound if you are only going ot get one. So that's what I got and it polished my first knife well.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:48 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I'm not sure about polishing the leather because a lot depends on how the leather was tanned and because I never used leather on a handle. But, for the wood you will probably want to go further than 400 if the wood has not been stabilized. Stabilized wood is a breeze to polish but ufinished wood requires a bit more effort.

The main thing I wanted to comment on is the Search feature and your erference to 'one word' searches. I just searched for 'stacked leather' and found several threads including this one ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-06-2006, 08:52 PM

I ussually take my wood to 1200 grit before any kind of buffing. The higher the grit you take it to the better the wood will look.
Steve

Old 09-06-2006, 09:52 PM
Skilled

i only sand to 400 grit paper and then use tung oil for a finish. this is a knife with birch bark which feels simuliar to leather. you really don't want to sand past 400 on the leather or use a compound on it.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:12 AM
Skilled

Going past 400grit on leather seems to smudge the leather. I use no scratch pink rouge on a buffing wheel after sanding. Be careful not to buff any metal at the same time, it will put black smear on the wood and leather. Tung oil or Danish oil works well to seal and preserve the leather. Just use a liberal amount and let it soak in. Several coats will do the job. Finish out with good wax coat.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK LOWE
Going past 400grit on leather seems to smudge the leather. I use no scratch pink rouge on a buffing wheel after sanding. Be careful not to buff any metal at the same time, it will put black smear on the wood and leather. Tung oil or Danish oil works well to seal and preserve the leather. Just use a liberal amount and let it soak in. Several coats will do the job. Finish out with good wax coat.
So if you have larger pins and an exposed tang what should you use to buff out your handle with?

Tags
knife