MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:31 PM

new knife

Hi all i got me a new knife but yeah....
it's a Bowie knife but when i got it home i took a magnet to it and it stuck like glue,it does say Stainless steel on it,
Here is my question should i take it all apart and heat treat it and harden it ?
Old 12-10-2015, 04:50 PM
Skilled

The only time a knife would be non magnetic is when it's being heat treated..around 1475 degrees. Once it drops below that it's magnetic again.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:22 PM
Skilled

There are 3 main types of stainless; austinitic- nonmagnetic and not heat treatable (300 series). Ferritic- somewhat magnetic, not heat treatable (normally found in automotive exhaust systems.) Finally, martinistic- magnetic and heat treatable. This is the stuff knives are made from, usually.

Basically, if a magnet sticks to a stainless knife then it's a heat treatable steel. If the magnet doesn't stick it either ceramic or junk.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:50 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Basically, I'm agreeing with the other guys. But, I'll add this: why do you think it needs to be heat treated? If it is a finished knife it has already had its heat treatment and, as the others are saying, you would expect a magnet to stick to it.

Now, assuming that it really did need to be heat treated how would you do it? My guess is you don't own an electric furnace and that's the only effective way stainless blade steel can be properly heat treated ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
blade, bowie, bowie knife, degrees, glue, harden, heat, heat treat, heat treatment, home, knife, knives, made, stainless, stainless steel, steel