MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:56 PM
Steel Addict

stainless heat treat coating

I recently came into a ht14d paragon kiln at a reasonable price. Now that i can heat treat my own stainless i'm wondering what others use to prevent scale. I know there is Turco, Brownells, and a few others but what is the most economical? I can use foil too but am wondering what others use, why they use it, and how they use it.

Old 09-01-2018, 02:29 AM
Steel Addict

I use the stainless steel foil that is rated for 2200 degrees to heat treat my S30V knives. It comes in a 25 foot roll at a cost of around $70.00. I heat treat 2 knife blades at a time in the same foil packet. I cut 10 inches of foil off the roll, fold and double crimp the ends and one side into a packet. Two of my hunting knife blades will fit into the packet.
That works out to 30 packets per roll and 2 blades per packet or a total of 60 blades heat treated per roll of stainless steel foil. Just a few cents over one dollar per blade for the stainless steel foil.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:21 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I feed argon into my Paragon to prevent heavy scale. The result is a light, thin, soft scale. I grind my blades after HT. Doing that removes the thin powdery scale and and surface decarb or slight pitting that might have occurred. It also saves a little time getting to the quench since I don't have to remove any foil (coating the blade would also have that advantage). Argon is cheap and apply it to the furnace requires only a cheap regulator available on eBay. Lots of ways to skin this particular cat ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-02-2018, 12:26 AM
Steel Addict

Ray I do not remove the foil prior to the quench. I remove from oven and place between two alum. quench plates and I can pick up the foil packet in 4-5 minutes and it is down to room temp or lower. I also keep my alum. quench plates in my shop fridge-freezer that really helps the rapid cooling. 95% of my S30V blades come out of heat treatment & tempering at 60RC and every now and then I will get one at 59 or 61RC.
Just have discoloration on the steel blades and no carb buildup. Also by using Alum. quench plates, I have never had a warped blade.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:16 AM
Guru

Foil is best for plate quenching also spray compressed air between plates...

for oil (I use parks 50) I use brownels
Old 09-02-2018, 08:25 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Bob,

Sounds like you method works pretty well. As I said, many ways to skin that kitty ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-02-2018, 12:26 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your time and insight. It seems that foil is probably the easiest for starters. I have some aluminum quench plates so I'll start with that.

Last edited by mwhuston; 09-02-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:01 AM
Guru

Yeh the reason I said I use brownells for oil is I think things would slow down dipping in oil with foil still on some guys sware by putting a "catch basket" hanging in the oil and as soon as they pull it out of the oven they cut the packet and let it fall into the oil....well me I am not quick enough cutting the foil especially when your handleing something that is 1900 + deg yeh not me

Tags
apply, blades, ca, cheap, coating, degrees, furnace, grind, heat, heat treat, heat treatment, hunting, hunting knife, kit, knife, knives, s30v, scale, spray, stainless, stainless steel, steel, surface, thin