MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Skilled

Two more proto's.....

:angry: Well,i have finally come to the realization that i need to use thicker liners or spacers here.only took me 5 freakin knives...

I've been trying to use .075" SS liners and put bearing races in handles and blade.On every knife when i tighten it to the point of zero play,i get a slight pinch/bind at the same point everytime.if i back the pivotb off i get a hair of blade play.guess i'll need to move to .093" TI for liners and keep the races in just the liners.

Figured i'd show off my recent two anyways :cool:

Old 06-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Hall of Famer

Any time you squeeze ball bearings together against their race like you describe, you'll always get that binding/squeaking sound. There must be a little clearance, otherwise the balls and races would heat up really fast. Next the bearing would seize up.

It sounds to me as if you need to use pivot screws with the finest threads per inch you can find. Or make your own pivots and screws.A finer thread would let you back off but wouldn't get so loose.

Last edited by Don Robinson; 06-02-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Steel Addict

I feel silly asking this question, but was your bearing lube heavy enough to hold up after a clean up? Thanks for showing your work.

Whiskers
Old 06-05-2008, 03:46 PM
Skilled

Don..,to be honest i dont think it would be possible to flip a bali quick enough to heat up the bearings.but stranger things have happened.there is no squeeking,just a slight bind.I'm finishing my blades to .159" and using spacers exactly .189. this gives me .015" on either side for clearance. now,my liners are only .075" so having raceways as deep as neccisary leaves way to little room for the pivot pin to grab and could cause distortions in the raceway,so i've been using .030" race in the blades and the remainder in the handles which leaves plenty of meat in the liners,but,could be causing double the work and double the problems if everything is not bang on spec.a fellow maker using (ikbs) told me today that he had the same issue and found that tightening the pivot super tight and flipping a while helped alot.so i went down and tore one apart gave it a whirl and what do ya know....,the darn things workin i think there might be a tiny burr or something caused from the pilot of the CB,then running a reamer back through it after creates a tiny burr.now i have been carefull to deburr everything.but tightening it down helped on this one.

Whiskers:i'm using bearing grease to pick up and place bearings into the races on the tip of a safety pin,so theres plenty in there.some guys even pour bearings in and only use mili-tech.

i think to make things easier i'm going to have to suck it up and use thicker liners so there is only 4 raceways instead of 8.next will be upgrading to carbide reamers to work the TI cant a brother catch a break?? lol

Tags
blade, knife, knives